1987 Suzuki 175 oil injected outboard

jcalexander

Cadet
I have a 1987 oil injected suzuki 175 hp outboard. It hasnt run in several years but the engine and carbs are in good shape. my father said that after running the engine for about 30 minutes it slow down from by about 20-30 mph. Does anyone know why? What should i do to clean these carbs affectively?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1987 Suzuki 175 oil injected outboard

30 minutes is a long time for limp mode to kick in.check fuel filter and water pump

jcalexander

Cadet

We checked fuel filter, it is fine. Wont know about the water pump till we crank it. We thought it could be the fuel pump cant keep up and may need to be replaced?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

monitor fuel pressure and vacuum is the easiest way to see if there is a restriction

jcalexander

Cadet

I got the engine running but now power tilt and trim doesnt work. U can press the swith and the solenoids click but nothing happens. Any advice?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

check to see if proper voltage is getting to motor leads when relays pick up,
remember both the + and - have to be made up by relays to reverse motor direction

Or take motor leads off relays and touch to a battery to see if motor will turn

Could be just a bad connection

What did you find wrong with fuel?

jcalexander

Cadet

We used a test light to check the leads and the relays. didnt think to touch the leads straight to the battery, but we are going to try to tap on that motor or take it out to see if the brushes are just stuck.

We didn't really find anything wrong the fuel yet. we cleaned the carbs and put the fuel line in some fresh gas to crank it with. wont know about the fuel pumps till we can open it up on the water a little bit.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

use a volt meter at trim motor terminals, voltage shouldn't change or drop when curcuit is energized, meaning you are trying to raise or lower motor. if there is 12 volts then you have a bad motor,if it drops you have a bad connection.try tapping on motor to free brushes. fuel issue, does primer bulb stay hard?