1961 Evinrude Starflite 75 h.p. wont shut off

frostian

Recruit
Hello all,
New to boats, and this is something i havent been able to figure out! I have a 1964 Glasspar Seafair Sunliner that i am piecing back together, and im almost done. I just put a new (to me) engine on it, it is a 1961 Evinrude Starflite 75 H.P... It runs great and everything is awesome except the fact that it will not shut off with the ignition switch, Any ideas on what might cause it to not shut off with the key? it starts and runs fine with the key so i am lost.
Im guessing it could be something hooked up wrong to the ignition, or possibly a ground wire not hooked up correctly from the ignition switch.. Please help!

Thanks,
Trey

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Evinrude Starflite 75 h.p. wont shut off

Trey, Motors of that vintage had either a magneto ignition or a battery/coil ignition. The former requires the points to be grounded to kill the ign, and the latter requires your remove the voltage that powers the ign. Do the wires come out of the bottom of the distributor cap or the side of the distributor cap? If the bottom of the cap, the ign switch needs to ground the black wire that goes to the distributor.

frostian

Recruit

Chris,
Thank you for the quick reply, the motor is definitely set up on the magneto system i beleive it was the last year they did this. So from what i gathered from your reply my points will need to be grounded to kill the engine. so there should be some kind of ground coming out of the distributor that is fed through the wire tube into the electrical box that grounds it out when the key is switched to the off position? How would i figure out which wire this is and why it isnt currently working?

Thanks, Trey

Willyclay

Captain

I have the wiring diagram for your motor and was unable to upload into the iboats.com. Send me a PM with your email address and I will reply with a copy attached.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just for the record, 1961 was not the last year for the magneto. Possibly it was for the "Starflite". It was used as late as 1966 on the 80hp Manual shift model, and some others.

Attachments

• Wiring 1962-63 Gale 60 Without Generator verified fr.jpg
    Wiring 1962-63 Gale 60 Without Generator verified fr.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0