Mercury 115hp Tower Power Inline 6 High Voltage Question

CRJDriver

Cadet
I have a 1984 Mercury 115hp Tower of Power Inline with a high voltage problem. The rectifier passes the diode resistance check. All connections seem to be tight and clean. The battery is a new (June) 650cc deap cycle lead acid type. Voltage shows almost 16 volts on gauge and voltmeter at high idle.

Any ideas or other things to check?

I have read I can put a voltage regulator inline with the battery, or replace the recifier with a combo rectifier / regulator? Which is prefered? Any specific model regulator?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

John

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 115hp Tower Power Inline 6 High Voltage Question

It works. Turn a few lights on. Mine did the same thing. I stopped worrying about it.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Normal for an unregulated motor. Mine is the same. You only need to periodically check the battery water level.

If it bothers you then you can install a regulator.

CRJDriver

Cadet

Normal for an unregulated motor. Mine is the same. You only need to periodically check the battery water level.

If it bothers you then you can install a regulator.

Thanks. It does bother me some. I have a Garmin and a depth finder that I dont want to fry. Any idea what regulator will work? Auto or marine, etc.

What is considered too high voltage?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Normal automotive charging rate is 14.5 ish. Check your electronics owners manuals. 16 volts may be well in operating range. Garmin can use a range of 6-40 VDC or so.

CRJDriver

Cadet

Normal automotive charging rate is 14.5 ish. Check your electronics owners manuals. 16 volts may be well in operating range. Garmin can use a range of 6-40 VDC or so.

Thanks Wired.

I am going out Sunday. I will keep an eye on it.

If anyone knows of a voltage regulator that will work either as a splice in or as a replacement to the OEM rectifier please let me know.

John

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Most low voltage DC powered electronics use Zeiner diodes to knock the voltage down to a 5 VDC control voltage that the board operates off of. Thats why the Garmin stuff specifies supply voltage of at least 6 VDC.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You are fine sir. 16 is normal and most electronics mfgrs these days put in over voltage protection. Costs them about 5 cents and saves a lot of warranty rework due to customer adaptation variances. If you don't have a regulator, it's just something less to fail.

Mark

CRJDriver

Cadet

You are fine sir. 16 is normal and most electronics mfgrs these days put in over voltage protection. Costs them about 5 cents and saves a lot of warranty rework due to customer adaptation variances. If you don't have a regulator, it's just something less to fail.

Mark

Thank you Mark.