Trim cylinder fitting leaking, water contamination?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I noticed a small amount of trim oil dripping onto my driveway from the starboard trim cylinder on my 2011 4.3/Alpha one. Has about 18 hours on it.
The leak appears to be coming from the fitting at the end of a long stainless tube that runs to the aft end of the cylinder.
I cracked the line loose and tightened it back up. It didn't seem loose, but as a mechanic I have seen many brake fittings on new vehicles that leaked and needed to be snugged up again.
But brake lines don't live under water.
So, my question is....do I need to change out the trim fluid as this cylinder may be contaminated with water? I'd like to think its under pressure and water might not get in there.
I just filled with new trim fluid after I changed a burst trim line on the inside of the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim cylinder fitting leaking, water contamination?

Is the oil milky? If you run it full up and full down a few times and see no milky oil in the reservoir, then you should be ok. You can also put the drive all the way up, block it up so it won't drop, remove the line, and run the pump down and see if any milky oil comes out of the line.
While the line is off, make sure the seat for the hose and cylinder is clean and not cracked.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

ricohman,

I would be taking it to the dealer as it must still be under warranty...no? You paid LOTS of good money for the boat and drive system and paid handsomely for the warranty coverage.

As far as water contamination goes....I have a hard time imagining how...when the boat is underway there is positive pressure on the hydraulic system....at rest the reservoir tank is above the water line it would seem that it would have "positive" pressure again....

Just my thoughts

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probly no water but check for milky oil. The fluid is much more likely to come out under pressure than let in water that has no pressure.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

The trim oil looks new and uncontaminated. I am going to cycle the drive up and down a few times and watch it.
If it continues to leak I may try and book it in for warranty. How long is merc warranty? I am still less than a year but it may well be 4 or 5 months until the dealer here will fix it.

Don S

How long is merc warranty?

You should know that, it's on your warranty card that Merc mailed you when you bought the boat. The warranty period is for 2 years.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You should know that, it's on your warranty card that Merc mailed you when you bought the boat. The warranty period is for 2 years.

The dealer forgot to mail it in and I had to call Mercruiser in the spring. I never recieved anything in the mail and have no info on my warranty other than what is in the owners manual.
I did read the website last night and it does list Starcraft as a certified installer so it should have 2 years, I think.
I'd rather just deal with this on my driveway anyways than get another lecture on why I didn't buy a pontoon from this local dealer instead of my Islander.

Don S

Your warranty is good until 6-25-2014. Might give Merc a call and see if they will send you the card.
Just an FYI, You can take your boat to any Mercruiser dealer for engine and drive work, it does not have to be the selling dealer.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Your warranty is good until 6-25-2014. Might give Merc a call and see if they will send you the card.
Just an FYI, You can take your boat to any Mercruiser dealer for engine and drive work, it does not have to be the selling dealer.

Don, how did you find that date?
The local dealer is the guy that will give me the lecture and take 4-5 months to fix anything. But I accept this as I didn't buy a pontoon from him :)

Don S

Don, how did you find that date?

I have friends with dealer access.

I will send you a PM in a few minutes.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Came home today and there was a lot of oil on the driveway. Enough to make me think the cylinder is empty.
Sooo, this boat has to be shipped back for warranty paint work. Will only having one cylinder holding the drive up be hard on the remaining cylinder?
I woud have to wait at least 3-4 months to have this fixed under warranty locally so I would rather do that if I can get the boat back in January and then get it in by March or April.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Don. That is excactly what I need. Now that I think about it if I have a leak the entire drive will eventually come down.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Update to this thread.
The braided/hard line that fastens to the trim cylinder was replaced by the dealer a week ago. However, the leak persists.
I am going to assume the problem lies in the trim cylinder.
Has anyone ever had a problem with the fittings on these late model trim cylinders?

Don S

Update to this thread.
The braided/hard line that fastens to the trim cylinder was replaced by the dealer a week ago. However, the leak persists.
I am going to assume the problem lies in the trim cyclinder.
Has anyone ever had a problem with the fittings on these late model trim cylinders?

Doesn't matter if others have or haven't, you do.
May just be a manufacturing defect and never happen again. But it did on yours.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I was about to buy a new trim cylinder, but then I figured I would try a cycle fix.
I assume these lines are stainless (like most bike lines) and are hard to compress at the fitting. The fitting inside the cylinder is not a typical flare though.

washer.jpg
I used a 1/4 tapered copper flare gasket cut to fit inside the cylinder fitting and tightened it down. I cycled it up and down a few times and there isn't any large leaks or any leak for that matter. I guess after it sits for a day or two I will know for sure. I've had good luck with copper flare gaskets on bikes and old brit cars so maybe this fix will work.

RRitt

Captain

IMO, if you needed that gasket then the casting port or hydraulic line fitting had a manufacturing flaw. it is unlikely that the gasket will last as long as a flawless original. It is even less likely that a flawed part can be repaired as well 10 years down the road. At some point in time it would be wise to have proper and new parts installed.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, the cylinder has a flaw, the line was replaced under warranty a few weeks ago.
It will last a long time if it works. Isn't leaking today but I will check tomorrow.

RRitt

Captain

10 or 20 years from now you will need to rebuild that hydraulic cylinder. Whatever problem it has today will probably be even more difficult to fix then and you are likely to see it again after rebuilding trim. If it was my new boat then I would demand parts that work without duct tape and super glue.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

10 or 20 years from now you will need to rebuild that hydraulic cylinder. Whatever problem it has today will probably be even more difficult to fix then and you are likely to see it again after rebuilding trim. If it was my new boat then I would demand parts that work without duct tape and super glue.

I know. I just can't stand the way the dealer talks to me. I'd rather just fix it myself and save the grief.
I posted this in case anyone else has a leak and wants a cheap fix that will get them back on the water. These copper flare gaskets are standard fare on my R1150GSA so it should work here just as well.
No leaks in 24 hrs so this may be good.