is it illegal to hunt Craigslist Spammers?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ok, so i have 3 project vehicles and a pile of parts on craigslist. normally have good luck.

in the past 2 days I have had 18 different emails from scammers. all with the same MO. they email initially interested in the item, then follow up with an email of exactly the same wording:

Thanks for the response.I'm okay with the price and I will like to
know much about its present condition.I will have to issue out a
check in your name due to the distance between us..I do buy things on
Craigslist with cash but i pay with checks if its a long distance
transaction because the last time i tried mailing out cash via US
express mail it never got to the destination but i can assure you that
there won't be any problem of any kind because i don't mind waiting
for your bank to check-out the authenticity of check. . I don't mind
adding an extra $30 just for you to keep it in my favor you will
receive payment within the next 3 business days Reply with your
full name and address where payment should be sent, and a phone number
where i can reach you. Please take the posting off Craigslist today
and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards

so, would it be illegal to hunt these craigslist spammers? is there any way to track them, if so I would like to find out and pay them a visit.

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: is it illegal to hunt Craigslist Spammers?

Too bad it's not....

I am still having fun dragging things out for a few scammers that I've been emailing. Just keep leading them along and asking repetetive questions. If I'm wasting their time it's less time they're screwing someone else over.

Look up 419 eater.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Its illegal to hunt anyone in America, unless you are a law enforcement officer! Such a shame!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Tell them to send the check and then use the name and return address to pledge donations to televangelists.;) ... 2 birds with one stone!

Throw the check away when you recieve it and tell the sender you never recieved it so please send another one.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I have already asked them for their address, social, mothers maiden name, phone number and date of birth so I can open a line of credit in their name payable to me, however I prefer to make them a target for mercenaries.

southkogs

Staff member

Tell them to send the check and then use the name and return address to pledge donations to televangelists.;) ... 2 birds with one stone!
LOL :D - Brilliant Jig. Just brilliant.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

My dad told me when I was a kid, "its only illegal if you get caught, and then confess"

fishrdan

Admiral

Not sure if it's illegal, in the country they live. Though it might get expensive traveling overseas...

I had a group of scammers calling the office telling me my "Windows PC" if infected with virus's (in a thick Indian accent). I blew them off the first couple of times, then had some free time to keep them entertained one day.

- Sure I have a window's PC, which one of the 4, which operating system???
- Oh, I like virus's!!!
- Explain why virus's are bad???
- What do you mean by they not a virus, but worse than a virus???
- No I don't have admin permissions...
- Hold on, I'll get the admin password...
- The guy who has the password will be right back, hold on...

After 10 minutes the guy gave up and they haven't called back since :rolleyes:

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i usually tell the telemarketers we'll be bombing you soon and hang up.:D

on time they called me asking if i wanted caller id. i said why. they said so you can screen unwanted calls. i said you know what i do when i dont want to talk to someone? they said what. they heard CLICK!:D

i have manners i havent used yet.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Seriously, not worth it.

All craigslist transactions should be in person, face to face and "pending" until the CASH is exchanged.

It's not even worth the time to report the fraud or forward the email since they will never be found........ I think over 95% are in some foreign country.

Don't be fooled...... I would sincerely love if there was a virus to embed and email back to them that would destroy their system. I know that is not legal either but that would be my "easy" solution. Maybe, we have a CIA or Black Ops person who would like to step up and supply us with a "embedded virus" we could send back......... Yes I am evil.

Do you really think the "drone" we lost was an accident? I will bet the on-board computer is virus laden.......... There are agencies with that technology in the USA and it has been used before. :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I have been buying and selling things on craigslist for many years and have always been face to face transaction. however this is the first year that I have wasted 2 hours replying to emails only to find 95% are scammers/spammers. Hence the desire to trace their IP address and ultimately register them with a kirby sales man or something.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

When asked if I will take a check, My response is "In God I Trust, All others pay cash". The nexty step is asking them to come and meet you in Alligator Alley for the delivery of the merchandise. As far as Hunting the Scammers, It is always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. If you need any help, just call.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is why I don't use craigslist. My way of stopping it is when no-one but scammers use it they will either find a way to fix it or shut it down. They should require some kind of verification before you can run an ad or respond to one. If your really unlucky you will get a seller that will knock you in the head and take your money when you meet them.

Brewman61

Ensign

Most of the scammers are not in the US, but in Asia or Europe, good luck getting anywhere tracking them down.
Too many scammers, no money to chase them, host countries not interested in doing anything.
If you don't want to simply ignore them, the next best thing is to wast their time and money by stringing them along for as long as you care. Just don't give out any personal information.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could, but you would have to go all "Shotgun Preacher" in Nigeria.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have one of them dragged on for a while and they even send me a check made out to about 2 1/2 more than the item is worth! Eventually, I ask them to send me a confirmation number from Western Union (as they wanted me to do the same) and the amount send and have never heard from them since. Same MO as above. Send you payment, call 3rd party for shipping, wait till check clears and more money for item and then send Western union confirmation number and if you do all this, you will be out of a lot of $$$.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

There are only 3 methods of acceptable payment in my book for this kind of thing.
#1. Cash
#2. Cash
#3. Cash

for every 10 thousand auto responses they send out they find one person thats stupied enoght to fall for the scam. i was sitting at work when a guy a few tables away was talking about this great deal on a jeep he was buying of craiglist. another person said it could be a rip off. "oh no it isnt we are using ebay to do the transfer". well theres the big red flag. i politly went over and wispered that its a con and if you dont believe me call ebay but put a block on the check first or you will be sorry. 20 mins later he came over to thank me and told me ebay said it was a con and western union blocked the check before it was transfered. hes not the first person ive worked with that has fell for this kinda thing and now people come to see me all the time to get me to look at cl ads.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

I have never had any problems with CL but I havnt sold anything on there. The things I've bought have allways gotten a great deal. The sellers have been misleading at times but I check things out myself and take the sellers pitch with a grain of salt. Like the guy I bought my boat from said it just needed a floor . I could see the transom sag for myself but the trailer was nice and motor had good compression so I figured $500 to be fair