'75 25hp, this amount of oil in barrell excessive?

Phishnvdub

Seaman Apprentice
Ran my motor in a barrel tonight for bout eight minutes. 1975 Chrysler 25hp 255HA. Mostly idling with a couple blips of throttle with the neutral warm up switch out so the prop was not spinning. The barrel was tilted back a little so everything floating was concentrated towards the front of the motor. Barrel sprung a leak when I finished at the bottom, is why the water is so low. I had the hose on in the bucket the whole time so it always had water going thru the cooling system. Anyone know what oil that is? Unburned fuel? I remember there being a little black around the inside of the barrel after running it before, nothing like this I can recall. Curious if this is bad?

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '75 25hp, this amount of oil in barrell excessive?

That is pretty much the normal situation. Remember, you are not burning all the oil and fuel mixture and some exits through the exhaust. All the exhaust is confined in the barrel and looks like way more than it is. They seem to smoke more in the barrel too.

Phishnvdub

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '75 25hp, this amount of oil in barrell excessive?

OK, thanks! Checked my plugs the other day and they looked good, not running rich or anything. So I was concerned after seeing that in the barrel maybe something was not right.