2006 5.0 mpi problems no idle or running

Robhirt

Recruit
I have a 2006 stingray 240cs with a 2006 5.0 mpi alpha one 310 hours. We were on the lake an the motor lost power and died. I was able to restart it once but after it died, no restart. Let it sit and remembered I just got a new gas cap for it. The previous cap was vented but the guy at the store said that wasn't needed, so the new one was not. As I remove the cap there's large suction comes fom the gas area for 5 seconds. I leave the cap off and start the motor and it seems to idle and run fine. I try some low speed driving and turns - no issues. Thinking the problem resolved I drive away and the issue occurs again at 4000. Motor dies, no restart or idle.

Any help or ideas appreciated

Much thx!

Rob

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2006 5.0 mpi problems no idle or running

well, the vacuum seal of the gas cap could have overcome the suction of the pump and stopped it. That's the easy part, the reason you can't get over 4,000 can be a different one. One possible reason is that when the pump actually have to freeze up to stall, it could have damaged an internal seal and can long longer pump the amount of fuel needed for the engine to run over 4,000 rpm. I would first get a pressure gauge for the fuel line and test what pressure you are getting around 4,000 vs what the spec is for your engine. That's where I would start.

Robhirt

Recruit
Re: 2006 5.0 mpi problems no idle or running

Thanks. However, I didnt state the issue right. Now the boat will no longer start or idle. The problem occured again after I took the boat out and brought it over 4000. I do think, however, that the problem would have occured if I would have just idled it long enough. I will have someone check the fuel pressure tomorrow.

thx

rob