J115TLET Timing Question

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice
I used the method in the sticky file to time my motor, I think. First of all I can see my timing light at night But I can't see light in the daytime with the sun out. So any help I can get before dark will be greatly appreciated. I need to begin work at zero dark 30 I will tell you what I have done and if anything is wrong,please advise. First of all on the air horn of the motor it says 28 BTDC correct double check here, please. Now in the Seloc book it says max advance 27-29 BTDC correct double check here, please. 24 would be right number to shoot for, right? O.K.(28-4) Now the other night I put motor on fast idle (not running) as far as it would go. This opens butterflies all the way,correct? Now with 2,3,4, plugs removed from holes w/ plug wires attached, I used alligator clips around each plug and all were hooked to ground. #1 plug out of hole w/gap tester attached to it was also grounded. The clip for the timing light was attached around #1 plug wire, which is top cylinder on starboard side, correct? Now with ignition to "ON" I use remote starter to turn motor. Timing was 18 BTDC. Now before I go any further I have to address the rubber stop referred to in instructions. I don't have a rubber stop anywhere. What I have is a Phillips head screw 1/4-20 NC under my flywheel with a nut behind it so as to lock after adjustment is reached. Now here is the magic word, I ASSUMED this is the stop for the full advance, is this correct? I was happy that it was because I loosened the locknut and screwed the screw "IN" and timing mark moved higher. When I got to 24* I stopped and tightened the locknut. After I tightened the nut I rechecked with light to make sure I did'nt move screw when tightening. Now while this is going on I am making sure that the "arm" is against screw when using light. You can't "wire it" the arm to anything as ypu can't get to screwhead if you wire the arm to it. Now instructions say idle will take care of itself. It threw my sync off so I removed cable and adjusted to where lobe is on centerline of carb arm. Now I have it re- adjusted where movement of throttle arm starts opening carbs. Now I reattach cable. Cable is in neutral,
Now the next day I back boat into water far enough to come 3-4" below exhaust skirt. I adjust tilt trim so motor is approximate angle it would be in during operation. Boat is still on trailer with truck in front. I get on board and start using normal starting method. Always has been "cold nature d" have to hit solenoid several times nothing new. It gets to operating temp and I put it in forward and try to advance throttle. It spits and dies. Repeat several times with same result. Here I was expecting to either blow all the water out of the lake or start shoving my truck up the hill. I am devastated, I am really lost. Clueless as what to do now.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice
Re: J115TLET Timing Question

O.K. So far 85 people have looked at this and nobody has said anything one way or another. A am for anybody to use SWAG technique here. Maybe timed right and it is carbs. It starts good and will idle at little under 1000rpm in forward gear as soon as you try to increase speed it will stagger and die. I have changed fuel water separator and no water. Carb bowls drained and no water. Fuel pump screen looked at nothing there either. Does it sound like I have it timed right and maybe something else. I went out and ge started playing with timing and now have it screwed up. Was I turning the right screw under flywheel on starboard side that was allowing timing arm to move Counter clockwise which got me to 24 deg. BTDC? I know this has got to be good to stump this croud:(

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

:eek:Look folks, I think we have a terrible understanding going on here. I know this timing method has been posted by revered member of this forum and it was written in a manner that was to take out all the "mystique", to be a "cut to the chase" kind of method to perform a timing job. In my post I was trying to be specific as to my motor using graphic detail so readers could understand. Not one person has responded and I think I have been misunderstood. I in no way am I meaning to disrespect anyone here. All people have been gracious to me. If my message was disrespectful, it wasn't really meant to be. Keyboard doesn't always translate. I humbly apologize if offense taken:redface:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Timing Stop.jpg Regarding the WOT timing adjustment: I've attached picture of a typical "rubber stop" on an older crossflow. Found on crossflow engines up through about 1985. Yours is a 93, and uses a slightly different factory WOT adjustment. The procedure you are following is a correct procedure. The factory service manual (the pictures are really helpful) for this year engine will help your clarify the application/adjustment of the procedure to your year engine. Your WOT is slightly different-it's adjusted by screwing the thumbwheel at the end of the spark advance rod.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so very much for your reply. T was even wondering if there was a "rubber stop" missing off of this screwhead. I understand OP was trying to use KISS method in his description. I was trying to decipher the timing procedure from a Seloc manual, my brand new shinny copy of OMC service manual P/N 508285, 85-115hp was in the mail but not in hand. I rebuilt carbs as this boat is kind of new to me (used one season and parked for a season. I redid timing, link and sync yesterday evening. Will attempt trailer start-up and "sea trials" if it acts right on trailer. Again emdsapmgr thank you very much, I know I am on the trail now.:p