mercruiser 120 stalls after 1 minute??

jazzbow

Cadet
Anyone know what would cause my 1977 Mercruiser 120 to stall after running only 1 minute, or so? Only way to make it run longer is to continually "feather" the throttle.
Last time it stalled, I took a look inside the carb and found very little gas in the bowl (about 1/16th. of an inch) This makes no sense to me because the new fuel pump tests out good for volume and pressure.I have tried the following : new fuel pump, new gas filter, and nearly- new re-built carb. Fairly certain that there is a faulty part in the Rochester 2 bbl carb that is the culprit, but don't know what part would be causing this problem. Don't understand how gas could be getting to the carb, but not filling the bowl??? All filters are clean- even the little one in the carb body. Any ideas out there?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 120 stalls after 1 minute??

Have you checked the filter in the inlet fitting of the carb?

jazzbow

Cadet

Anyone know what would cause my 1977 Mercruiser 120 to stall after running only 1 minute, or so? Only way to make it run longer is to continually "feather" the throttle.
Last time it stalled, I took a look inside the carb and found very little gas in the bowl (about 1/16th. of an inch) This makes no sense to me because the new fuel pump tests out good for volume and pressure.I have tried the following : new fuel pump, new gas filter, and nearly- new re-built carb. Fairly certain that there is a faulty part in the Rochester 2 bbl carb that is the culprit, but don't know what part would be causing this problem. Don't understand how gas could be getting to the carb, but not filling the bowl??? All filters are clean- even the little one in the carb body. Any ideas out there?

Yes, I have checked it, it is clean. I also ran the engine with the filter removed....Still stalls after 1 minute

jazzbow

Cadet

I did clean, and even removed carb-body filter and there is NO difference- it still stalls after 1 min. of running. What else could it be? Thanks

If the carb fuel bowl is empty and there is good gas pressure on the inlet of the carb, then there is a restriction there or the needle valve is closed. Could be junk in the seat which the needle valve closes down on. If the seat is blocked when the needle is raised by the float nothing can fill the fuel bowl.

There isn't much between the fuel line and fuel bowl besides a small passage way and the needle and seat.

Can you blow air (yourself.... not a compressor) thru the fuel line into the carb. Use a piece of hose.

If the bowl is empty the float will hang down and the needle will be open... you should be able to blow air into the carb with ease. If not you have to take the carb apart and see why.