Starter question

imported_alex_G

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,<br /><br />I need to remove starter because it seems to be dead.<br />I can see one bolt on the front of the starter and another on the back.<br />Are there any other bolts that I need to remove to take out starter?<br /><br />I have Bayliner 85 with OMC 5 liter engine.<br /><br />THanks<br /><br />Alex

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Starter question

Most starters have just 2 bolts..take those out and see if it drops out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The two bolts will be in the back with a support bar usually mounted on the front. Starters can be a bear to reach depending on the boat. On my 87 Baylner Capri, I had to take apart the engine housing to be able to reach it and it was still tough.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I had to lift my engine up to get to the inside bolt..What a pain! I will make a custom wrench for the next time!

imported_alex_G

Seaman Apprentice

Is there any way to get there with electric wrench?<br />I know there is not chance to do something with regular wrench - boat is 20 years old and it's probably original starter there.<br />It's insane to put such design into production.

Bondo

Staff member

A 9/16th" Socket,.....3" Extention,... 3/8"dr. Flex-head Ratchet,.....And a Short piece of Pipe..........<br /><br />Either they Come Out,........ Or they Break Off..........<br /><br /><br />It sounds like Mechanic may Not be on Your Resume Alex,..???..... :cool: