Boat Seat Mounting Base

jhall555

Cadet
Hey everyone, I'm currently at the stage of my rebuild where I need to figure something out for my pedestal bases.

The ones that I have are these:

They need 2 1/2" depth...the manufacturer cut holes in the floor and flush mounted them. I do not want to do that if at all possible...that is how most of the water got in and ruined everything.

Any suggestions? Thinking of building something that will sit 3" high off the deck with a hole in the middle but not through the deck...does that seem like it would be a major pain and in the way?

i0xNt.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat Seat Mounting Base

Laminate 4 pieces of 3/3" plywood together for you 3" thickness, make it a 12"x12" square or whatever size works best.

Cut your hole out and epoxy the square to your deck, then glass the square to the deck and mount your base.

No penetrations in your deck to worry about.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's how I'd do it...
seatpedestal.jpg

jhall555

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas and picture, Woodonglass do you want to stop by and make mine look like that? :D

If you did make that one...how high is that off the deck?

jhall555

Cadet

I assume it's epoxied and glassed to the deck?...Should I look at making drainage since my seats are removable and require the hole in the center of the base...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All that base is, is laminated 3/4" plywood. You'll prolly need 3 layers. Bevel it on the Table Saw and then Coat it with 3-4 coats of Epoxy. Paint it with 3 -4 Coats of Gelcoat or Rusoleum Oil Based Paint with added Hardener. Mix up some thickened epoxy (epoxy and cabosil) to the consistency of creamy peanut butter and glue it to the deck. Drill your mounting hole a bit over sized and coat the interior well with epoxy. If water gets in it should be easy enuf to Shop Vac it out. I suppose you could build in a drain using 1/2" pvc epoxied into the base too! What ever you wanted to engineer. Not sure how much water could get into the recess.

jhall555

Cadet

You're right Woodonglass...I used 2 - 3/4" and 1 - 1/2"

That really makes those seats sit high, they are adjustable (air ride) but even at the lowest setting they seem awfully high. I guess that's the price you pay for no water intrusion into the floor...or I'd need to get a whole different setup which isn't going to happen.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

My last post got gone somehow ..

Find a way to through bolt the base would be the best bet.

If its just screws on screws on the deck and platform .. the platform will still take the load and pull the screws OUT.

YD.

jhall555

Cadet

YD- I didn't use any screws to attach the platform to the deck, just thickened epoxy. There are large diameter screws holding the base plate to the platform i built with 4200 in each hole drilled (and epoxy).

If it does come loose at some point I'll have to figure something else out...thanks for the idea that may come in handy down the road.