Looking at a 2002 Glastron 185 GX 18 ft to buy....

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It has a Volvo 4.3 L I/O 190 HP in it. I have not found out how many hours are on it but the boat "looks" to be in very good shape.

I'd like to know if these Volvo engines are any good. I plan on going to look at it it and wanted to find out if there is anything specific/characteristics about this engine I should look for or ask.

Are Glastrons any good?
Are Volvo marine engines any good?

Thank you
Bill

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking at a 2002 Glastron 185 GX 18 ft to buy....

The engine is a standard 4.3 General Motors engine, with marine accessories on it to make it safe on the water same engine used by Mercruiser and others.
Volvo makes top of the outdrives.
Glastron boats are generally good quality boats, but like anything else, care and maintenance is the big thing.
Get a hull survey and and the engine checked out by a certified tech, and make sure you do a test drive of the boat to make sure every thing works.

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Don. I was not aware that Mercruiser used GM engines. I always thought they made their own. If that is so, then I would take it to any Mercury authorized dealer for service??????? Whom would I take the Volvo part to if service is needed? Or, does Mercury service the Volvo part too????

Thanks
Bill

NYBo

Admiral

Your main need for service will mostly involve the Volvo Penta parts, not the internals of the motor so you'll want a dealer willing to service a VP.