Did you know this was illegal in California.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
[h=3]2.45. Computer Assisted Remote Fishing.[/h]
  • (a) It is unlawful to take or assist in the taking of any fish in or from this state, by computer-assisted remote fishing.
  • (b) It is unlawful to establish or operate a computer-assisted remote fishing site for the purpose of taking any fish from or within this state.
  • (c) For the purposes of this section, ?computer-assisted remote fishing? means the use of a computer or any other remotely controlled device, equipment, software, or technology, to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any other weapon capable of killing or injuring any fish, for the purposes of taking any fish.
  • (d) For the purposes of this section, ?computer-assisted remote fishing site? means any computer, internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking fish.

Jlawsen

Re: Did you know this was illegal in California.

O.K. I guess you didn't see what I saw. This is a very poorly written enforcement code. It outlaws any fishing game on a computer that is played on the internet. You have to read it a couple of times to get it. I knew it, sooner or later they were gonna get me for taking more than my limit playing Lake Fishing 3

ngt

When reading that the first picture I got was some sort of targeting program and system for spear fishing. Maybe something that reads where the fish is, calculates where the fish will be, and launches the spear from your boat while you sit back viewing it on a screen and eating a sandwich. lol. Not sure how you would do that from a website though. I still don't get "videogame" out of reading that.

Something my buddy was working on, but never did finish, was this thing for shore fishing at night. A rod holder that when you got a big enough bite, would release a lever, jerk your rod back, and set your hook for you. Since most of the time he'd be over by a fire pit with a beer and miss his bite. Not quite "computer run", but it felt like cheating to me, lol.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

O.K. I guess you didn't see what I saw. This is a very poorly written enforcement code. It outlaws any fishing game on a computer that is played on the internet. You have to read it a couple of times to get it. I knew it, sooner or later they were gonna get me for taking more than my limit playing Lake Fishing 3

Not aimed at video games, they're talking about real spear gun and harpoon type fishing... if you can call that fishing.

I've never heard of a fishing site like that, but they do have/had remote control hunting sites that you can access on your computer. A camera attached to a remote controlled gun, it is/was a big trophy deer hunting thing... you can actually kill a deer while sitting at your computer with one key stroke, for a price.

This is/was done on trophy deer ranches that have the deer fenced in and fed like cattle. The camera operated guns are setup near feeders and on well used trails... very sporting. Some of the larger trophy bucks sell for upwards of $10,000 or more.

If you'll check the hunting regs you'll find the same law for hunting too.

ngt

This is/was done on trophy deer ranches that have the deer fenced in and fed like cattle. The camera operated guns are setup near feeders and on well used trails... very sporting.

That's awful, seriously.

Jlawsen

Just to be clear, If you read it like I believe they inteded it to be read it is in fact about remotely controled fishing machines of some kind and I didn't ever really think the intent was directed towards video/computer gaming.

I just thought it was funny that it could mean that the DFG in California could in fact reach into that arena in the future and impose licensing and limits on computer fishing games using this law as the gateway. You would be amazed at what our current Gov would like to do to raise/spend money.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sometimes I get lazy and let the robot do the fishing for me... fishing can be a hassle sometimes....

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Are they prohibiting using remote controlled small model boats to carry bottom rigs out away from shore to drop them farther than you could cast? I've seen a cheap one for sale on tv and heard some rumors of people using some modified ones to deliver baits out past the breakers.

Jlawsen

Are they prohibiting using remote controlled small model boats to carry bottom rigs out away from shore to drop them farther than you could cast? I've seen a cheap one for sale on tv and heard some rumors of people using some modified ones to deliver baits out past the breakers.

The regulation doesn't give me that impression.