Alpha gear & prop question

Pessemist

Seaman
I blew the sterndrive on my 1988" Sun Dancer 268DA with the stock 7.4L engine

It originally had an Alpha 1 with 1.32 gear ratio.

I can get an STI aftermarket fairly cheaply but the closest gear ratio they offer is 1.47

Checking out this prop website calculator I see I can get very similar performance by moving from the stock prop of 15.25x15 to 15.25x16 (up 1 pitch).

I know calculated ain't real world but I was wondering f this would work? Finding an inexpensive 1.32 replacement drive is problematic.

I know these engines EAT Alpha 1 drives but an Alpha 1 is my only option.

STI will not warranty their drive with the big block.

I use synthetic gear lube and rarely run at WOT to baby my drive.

Any thoughts?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Alpha gear & prop question

I can get an STI aftermarket fairly cheaply but the closest gear ratio they offer is 1.47

Checking out this prop website calculator I see I can get very similar performance by moving from the stock prop of 15.25x15 to 15.25x16 (up 1 pitch).

I know calculated ain't real world but I was wondering f this would work? Finding an inexpensive 1.32 replacement drive is problematic.

Any thoughts?

If the sei is the choice you have without a rebuild dont stress it..gearing is miminal in your case. yes you may have to reprop but wait till the drive is on... there is now way to guess here..You may not even need to

Bondo

Staff member

Any thoughts?

Ayuh,.... It's SEI, 'n iboats sells 'em,.... Seein's yer startin' with a 15" prop,...

You've got available pitch range in yer favor.... ya might see a Nice improvement....

Like Tail Gunner said,.. Try what you've got, 'n go from those numbers ya get at sea-trials..

Maclin

Admiral

Pessemist,

I think the 1.32 ratio in that big of a boat behind that much torque is what did the drive in. A 1.47 is much more in line with what that boat and engine combo needs anyway. I bet your boat will be more enjoyable than ever with the SEI 1.47.

jestor68

Commander

Since SEI offers several gear ratios in their 116 drive, it seems that you would better off with a lower ratio; such as 1.62 or 1.81.

Pessemist

Seaman

I think the 1.32 ratio in that big of a boat behind that much torque is what did the drive in. A 1.47 is much more in line with what that boat and engine combo needs anyway. I bet your boat will be more enjoyable than ever with the SEI 1.47

While I would hope so, the Searay 268DA Sundancer came stock with the 1:32 ratio from the factory when fitted to the large block 7.4L V8.

They reserved the 1:50 drives for the V6's and small block V8's

I wish someone who had that big a boat and was forced to swap the 1:32 for the 1:47 could give me their real world experience.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

While I would hope so, the Searay 268DA Sundancer came stock with the 1:32 ratio from the factory when fitted to the large block 7.4L V8.

They reserved the 1:50 drives for the V6's and small block V8's

I wish someone who had that big a boat and was forced to swap the 1:32 for the 1:47 could give me their real world experience.

Ok dont get caught up in this. Bondo or Don ive read the the 1.9 gear's are more robust than a 1.5 is that true...get one of those two to respond. There are some trival points to this whole thing..but they are trival