volvo penta 5.7 won't start when engine is hot

J mimi

Recruit
I overheated the engine last time out of the harbor. I shut the engine off as soon as I heard the alarm about 220. I could not restart and had to be towed in. I changed the thermastat and the engine starts and runs now at 160 degrees of so. When I shut the engine off it will not restart. Turns over and I have gas and spark but won't start. the engine will restart after a few hours or the next day fine? All suggestions are appreciated. also looking for a good recomendation of a volvo penta shop near larchmont ny should I need additional help with this.

Thanks

Javiles

Cadet
Re: volvo penta 5.7 won't start when engine is hot

having thecsame problem only mine does not over heat, seems to be flooded at times? hope someone here will give us some insight.

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: volvo penta 5.7 won't start when engine is hot

J mimi, you will be asked for the year, model, and engine model for proper troubleshooting.

With that said, if it's electric fuel pump and carburetted:

Potential solutions: Assuming it is fuel related. 1) Remove fuel cap to relieve possible vacuum lock. 2) Check fuel pump relay. 3) Replace anti-siphon valve. Next time you go boating, if it ocurrs again, try removing the fuel cap to "vent" the tank in case of a vacuum lock. Then try to start the engine. If that doesn't work, depending on your setup, I would remove the fuel pump relay and use a jumper wire across terminals 30 and 87. Once you have gas pumping (5-10 seconds), remove the jumper wire, replace the relay, then try to fire up the engine.

If it has something to do with an "engine save" device or something due to the overheat condition, I'm not sure.