Mercruiser 140 timing

SGTatArms

Recruit
I have a 1986 Blue Water with a Mercruiser 140. I know nothing about boats but am fairly fluent in car engines, I was sure the timing was out based on the sound and locking sounds when turning it over and when getting on it there was a lot of spitting and sputtering before it would finally get going.

I threw a timing light in the number 1 plug (plug closest to the crank pulley) and the mark was way off the gauge at idle (gauge goes to 12 BTDC and I would guess it was around 30). The plaque on the engine says the timing is 6 BTDC so that is where I set it to. I am being told I set it wrong. I have been unable to locate a manual for my engine so could someone please aid me in how to set this timing?

As I said it is a 1986 model 140 Mercruiser, it has points so is not electronic ignition, and there is no vacuum line on the distributor on this one so I am assuming no vacuum advance.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 140 timing

That would be the proper setting but at 30 degrees, one might think the advance weights in the distributor are stuck.

SGTatArms

Recruit

That would be the proper setting but at 30 degrees, one might think the advance weights in the distributor are stuck.

I know that 6 BTDC is the proper setting but did I check it correctly? After setting it back to 6 degrees I did throttle it up and it seemed to be advancing okay.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to set the timing at 6? while the engine is at idle rpm (650-700). If you have the engine running faster, it will start advancing and you won't have the proper timing.