SportJet 175 xr2 - maybe.. Need some help

night34606

Cadet
OK I am hoping someone can give me some incite here. I have what looks to be from the flywheel cover a SportJet 175xr2 however when I look up switch boxes and diagrams for the 175 xr2 it does not match up. I am not sure if this is a xr2 or possibly a similar engine with a different cover. It was a quciksilver repower but the serial on the label is destroyed on 2 of the digits. So questions:

Is there another spot they have the serial on these motors I can access?

Does anyone know if people switch the wiring around on these sometimes to save money on the switch boxes? The ones for the xr2 are 300 a piece vs 125 a piece for the ones I have.

night34606

Cadet
Re: SportJet 175 xr2 - maybe.. Need some help

I did not see that disc however this is a jet boat so its a pain to see on the sides clearly. The serial I can see is OSJ6005_ _ _ S0 all of those are zeros except the first OSJ section that is the letter o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woSdDbEkFbY&feature=youtu.be

I also went and put a video up of me going through the best I could tell. In addition to the lack of spark I have some concerns about the stater and triggers put in last season that they could be the wrong ones. Might not be possible but I know he had some issues timing the boat and it never ran as up to snuff as when I got it. He thought that possibly the wrong boxes were put on for the motor to save $. His logic behind the timing was potentially when the flywheel was put back on it was not put on to the right spot and so the timing marks were not lining up. We ended up timing it by ear and feel and it ran pretty good all season. This season it ran good the first time out but then on my next outing there a significant lack of power so when i dug in it was only running on 3 cylinders.

carholme

Rear Admiral

0SJ doesn't seem correct as it should be 0E followed by 6 numbers.

Gerry

night34606

Cadet

Did some more digging. Thats the quicksilver powerhead reman S/N. I could not find an original S/N but did find this from quickksilver that had a cross ref table. The part number on the quicksilver tag was fully legiable and is 884-9763R64 which shows the below poerhead info.

"Replaces 1997‑2000 Mercury 175 XR2 Sport Jet 2.5 Liter V‑6 engines with carbureted fuel systems only. (s/n 0E151580‑0E369299)."

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/pdfs/repower/reman-catalog.pdf

If you or whomever might be looking at this take a look at the video. Did someone just jury rig the cheaper boxes on? If so I need opinions if I should replace both boxes with the right box (thats about a 500 dollar cost). Or if I replace with the same ones its a 200 dollar cost.

Question behind that question (long day) - Do the switch boxes have anything to do at all with timing? There were issues timing the motor was it related to these potentially or something else. If timing has nothing to do with these then it would make sense to me to go with the cheaper option since its already wired.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Here is the parts list for s/ns 0E151580‑0E369299:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/2323.cfm

The stator number he is talking about on the video is 398-9873A36 which is right for that engine with the latest being A39.

As far as the switchboxes, see item 20 under ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS-IGNITION to see if you have the right ones installed or not.

Here is the service manual P/N: 90-852396R1

This has got to be your lucky day as they recently shut down the free manual site but lo and behold, look what came up:

http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/service_manual/jet/SJ175XR2_852396r1/cover.pdf

You can copy the entire manual to your computer and do it as you are going to need it to sort out this mess that you have. If it were my engine, I would be starting from scratch by verifying that I have all of the correct parts and then doing and suspect systems from the ground up.

Gerry

Dukedog

Captain

Tha switch boxes you have are aftermarket, probably sierra/CDI. Any 332-7778 a whatever up to a15 will work. Replace "both" new if you decide thats where tha problem is. I'm an OEM guy but I've heard some good things about tha Mallory/pn. 9-25100 (merc no. 332-7778a12). Do some internet snoopin' for a decent price...........gl and jmo.

night34606

Cadet

The person on the video is me lol. Everything I was able to dig up and your link to the parts list shows I have the wrong switch boxes.
Basically from what I understand the 332-7778 boxes Dukedog mentions are what I looked at and those are for an outboard 175. I have a sportjet and the boxes on the parts list are 18495A32. The outboard boxes are 100 bucks at the cheapest and the sportjet boxes are 250 each at the cheapest. The boat ran well once with the box style I have. I am pretty sure its the boxes but will be confirming everything with meter to be sure before buying either type of box.

Now here it the million dollar question. Do the switch boxes have anything to do with timing at all?

My current issue will get rectified (no spark on one bank) I am certain but my prior issue of not being able to tach up to 5500 rpms (could only hit 4400-4500 at best) all started when the stator and trigger was changed. Is it possible I had an outboard trigger \ stator combo with the outboard boxes - just trying to see if I need to buy the boxes do people think its going to resolve a timing issue. If so I would probably jump to the 500 bucks if not I see no reason spending the cash since the boat ran well once before on the outboard boxes.

Dukedog

Captain

Tha timing is controlled by tha trigger. If your losing fire on all three on same bank either 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 its USUALLY tha box but can be tha stator. Tha switch box for V6 Merc/Mariner is a switch box, is a switch box, is a switch box no mater what V6 its on. It may be configured a little different for mounting reasons but its still a switch box with same connections and internals. Not real sure but think on tha Sport Jet it will have a module and/or ecm that will limit rpm that may be done with making tha motor go real "fat", timing and/or kill a clyinder or two for a split second if over revved (sp?). Don't think that could be that culprit cause its tied in BOTH switch boxes. There will be only two wires from the switch boxes going somewhere other than trigger,stator and coils. It should be tha white/black and tha black/yellow (kill circuit). They should also go to tha module/ecm. Tha switch box itself can have an effect on timing in a way. It can be cross firing and/or double firing if bad but will still "show" fire. Normally its tha bias (black n white wire tying tha two together) that goes south in one and/or both. Tha ignition side of tha stator is what "charges" tha switch box and "trigger" tells it "when" ta fire. Tha trigger is probably tha most dependable electric part on tha motor but can go bad.

"will be confirming everything with meter"

Tha ONLY way to really trace down tha culprit is with a ddt/dva and do tha test that an OEM manual for your motor should spell out. You can do tha OHM thing but that has its faults..............Just tha way I see things but do wish ya luck with it.............D