mysterious gaskets and metal found in my lower gearbox

BajaDan

Cadet
Need some help here to identify these two mysterious parts I found in my lower gearbox housing. They both were found with swollen and damaged gaskets. They are heel shaped with holes in them. Did they get dislodged from my upper stern drive? Are they important? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post a picture of these two parts. Thanks in advance!

Re: mysterious gaskets and metal found in my lower gearbox

Sound like your exhaust shutters, which get damaged if you run low/no water flow to the engine.
However..... post the pic if you can to verify.

Bondo

Staff member

Sound like your exhaust shutters, which get damaged if you run low/no water flow to the engine.
However..... post the pic if you can to verify.

Ayuh,... I'm pretty sure yer Right,.... It's the shutters...

They belong at the top of the exhaust pipe, just aft of the risers...
They get Fried when the motor is run Dry, no water flow,...

Yes, they're quite Important...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

And it is not uncommon to find them where you found them....(when they break). Now, let's go get 'em fixed!:D
Don't be surprised if the replacements don't look exactly the same as the old ones.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Need some help here to identify these two mysterious parts I found in my lower gearbox housing. They both were found with swollen and damaged gaskets. They are heel shaped with holes in them. Did they get dislodged from my upper stern drive? Are they important? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post a picture of these two parts. Thanks in advance!

"I look into my crystal ball and see nothing". Any change you could post a picture and fill out your bio so we have some idea what you are talking about. Engine? Outdrive? Vintage? etc. Oh yeh my guess - shutters.

BajaDan

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys... I'm new here and just now learning the forum rules for posting pictures. My initial picture post file was too large, but hang with me I'll get this thing posted eventually. BTW, love the forum! This is my first boat and the wrenching is fun for me. I have little or no money in my purchase and I'm learning a lot about boats right here.

BajaDan

Cadet

Sorry for the very small picture, but this is what they look like. My boat is a 1992 Baja 180 Islander with a 3.0L Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II sterndrive. It was ready for the salvage yard when I purchased it... I'll chronical my restoration as soon as get this thing on the water. And I'll say it again, Great forum!!!
Exhaust Shutters.jpg

BajaDan

Cadet

Oh, here's a pic of the object of my current passion...
92 Baja 180 Islander cropped.jpg

BajaDan

Cadet

Great looking boat.

Salvage yard? Be nice to find something like that around here!

Thank you! And yes, THANK YOU very much to all the gearheads responding to my inquiry regarding the mysterious parts found in my lower unit... They are from the water shutter. Probably been there for awhile. I ordered new...

BTW, I traded a rifle and $200 for this boat. It needed lots of TLC... It's been my summer project. I pumped 2 gal of water out of the oil pan and a pint or so out of the tops of the cylinders. The fuel tank was half water and half gas as well. The boat was left outside, no cover, plug in hull and it filled up with rain water... After many new and used (Ebay) ignition parts. The beast came alive! Firing on all four cylinders with 150 psi compression! I must say, those 3.0L Mercruiser motors are certainly tough!!! Have since rebuilt the Mercarb, replaced the Korean made Mando 55 amp alternator, new exhaust manifold, revived the starter, coil, ignition module, plugs, etc... Purring like a Kitten now. Lots of cosmetics done as well, interior, carpeting, seats and a new sound system. I'm ready to rock!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looked at your pictures, and yes, those are your exhaust shutters.

BajaDan

Cadet

Here's the the old shutters and the new one in place.
Water _Shutter_As_Found.jpg
Water _Shutter_Installed.jpg