Did I order the wrong prop?!

Theeplaymaker

Seaman Apprentice
1) Plane at slower speeds and better hole shot/acceleration. Also I run in a rocky river so want to ditch the stainless prop2) 3 blade Stock stainless prop on a 1991 60 HP Evinrude 3 Cylinder
3) 13 3/8" x 17
4) I am not sure how accurate my tach is or my speedo but today with my 90lb GF and me being 190lb and all but an average load, I would have been able to trim up and over 6000 by a little, had it at about 5800 and we were doing 32-33, non GPS. Was doing 35 the other day with a buddy that is 215 however the tach wasn't functioning so I dont know what the RPM's were.
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP 1991 Evinrude Tracker 60 HP 3 Cylinder
6) 1991 Tracker Nitro 160TF, 16' that says 1200lb on the title

I ordered a 13.5" x 15 4 blade Comprop from Basspro and I am wondering if this will take me over 6000 rpm. Thanks for any help or suggestions. I know Basspro has a good return policy so I'd like to know before I try it so I can send it back for a better option if need be.

Cale

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Did I order the wrong prop?!

If you're running in a rocky river, you want a stainless prop--not a plastic prop. All the Comprop will do is strand you after shearing off.

I used to go thru 2 aluminum props per year. When I switched to a stainless, I never had a problem in 12 years' use.

You'll need to check the rpm range on your motor. You may be over-reving it @ over 6000 rpm's. More pitch may be needed.

Theeplaymaker

Seaman Apprentice

Well it's a rocky river but I stay away from the rocks usually and I'd rather hit a stump or hidden rock with a composite or aluminum prop then a stainless and blow apart my lower unit. The range is 5-6 and the gauge redlines at 6

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Nothing about prop change is carved in stone. Your changing pitch,design and material throwing more variables into the mix.
I feel that if you strike something with a composite you will lose one or more blades. I think aluminum is a better choice.
The 2" drop in pitch usually adds 300 to 400 rpm a 4 blade "may" reduce that some.
I would stick with a 3 blade al prop as a starting point. Solas Amita has a good reputation.

Theeplaymaker

Seaman Apprentice

emoney

Commander

I'm with the aluminum over the composite, but that's only because I have no experience with the newer comp's. I definitely think you're right about avoiding the SS because I'd prefer to change props before lower units.

As for that 4 blade, I was just looking at the new Mercury 4 blade and if really does what the marketing says it does, then it sounds like the "trick". Why don't you order it and gives us all a personal review (that way I can order one if you like it)? Somebody's gotta be the guinea pig so it might as well be you! Welcome to iBoats, btw.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your looking for top speed a 4 blade usually isn't the choice It will deliver excellent hole shot, control around the dock,stay on plane easier at reduced throttle,feel smoother, but is usually suggested to drop one inch in pitch and expected to reduce top end slightly.
Maybe that Merc prop will do better.

Theeplaymaker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm looking for those other things and not top speed really, I'd just like to be able to get the max speed out of it with a 4 blade prop and not have to worry about going over 6k. However I am going to return the comprop but I found a house I like with a nice shed to keep the boat in so for the time or two I get it out the rest of the year I will probably just hold off until next year to get a new prop now if I persue this house after I tour it next week. I will let you guys know what I do if I do get one this year though and especially if I try the one your talking about.

Theeplaymaker

Seaman Apprentice

This doesn't let me edit, but when I do get one do you guys suggest going to a 15p since a lot of company's don't make a 16 or should I stick with a 17?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think over the rest of a the season you need to get your gps speed.And confirm your tach.
Also check the motor height.The antivent plate (just above the prop) should be even with or about an inch above the bottom of the transom. If your reaching 6000 with your present prop I think the same pitch in a 4 blade should do well and perhaps maintain speed better.