trim and tilt question

lisker

Cadet
Can I wire in a switch to the back of the motor? My trim only works from the front controls. If so, does anyone know which wires I need to use. I have a 1994 force 120hp. Thank you

foodfisher

Captain
Re: trim and tilt question

Yes, you can put a switch anywhere. I'd like to have one near the transom. Haven't the slightest clue how to.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Some Force engines did come with a switch on the lower cowling. Find a switch off any brand junker engine or buy a new one. Drill a hole in the lower cowl wherever the switch will be convenient. Install the switch in the hole. Connect red to a source of 12 volts. Connect the other two wires in parallel to the signal wires for the relays--blue to blue and green to green. That's it.

The signal wires are the fine wires going to the relays, and may have a white trace. They are NOT the heavy wires coming from the relay to the motor. If you have a Merc control, they are outside the main cable and plug.

I have an OMC switch that I got for nothing and eventually I will put it on my Force 150

lisker

Cadet

Thank you for the info.. I will buy a switch and give it a try. I should have no problem wiring three wires..lol

emoney

Commander

Not sure how much different yours is than my 1995, but there's a switch location on my lower cowling on the Port side, just no switch. I'm thinking of adding one too as it sure would be handy for launching and loading, maintenance, etc.

lisker

Cadet

Do I wire the new switch to the wires going into the relay or wire the switch to the fine wires with the white trace?

RRitt

Captain

Can I wire in a switch to the back of the motor? My trim only works from the front controls. If so, does anyone know which wires I need to use. I have a 1994 force 120hp. Thank you

if your engine came with trim relays or trim solenoids then you can wire in as many switches as you want.

Every switch is exactly the same as the console switch. It will have one 12VDC inputs, and two outputs. The switch should be SPDT momentary with center off. For exposed locations get a sealed switch with mounting gasket. When the switch is pulled up the blue/wht wire should become active. When the switch is operated down the green/wht becomes active.

All thee wires to the switch are control signals and should be 18-22awg. The input needs to be protected with a small fuse. The outputs should be run back to engine and spliced into existing control wires. 3m squeeze on wire taps work well. Get a high quality connector and seal it when finished. If you have a lot of switches then they may use a common feeder.

If you have a 1987 or earlier 3w trim system then you will need to install relays before you can add a switch. You use a standard 2w trim relay harness with four blade N/O relays. When your motor wears out you can replace with either 2w or 3w. Just use the proper relay with the proper motor.