Max H P

Boat Load

Recruit
Does anyone know or know how to find out the max. hp motor for a 17-5 fish and ski 1984 cajun boat ?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Max H P

Welcome to iboats.

Need allot more information. A hull ID number would help and the series name. Does it have a HP loading plate?

Boat Load

Recruit

Welcome to iboats.

Need allot more information. A hull ID number would help and the series name. Does it have a HP loading plate?

The HP plate is to faded to read. It came with 4 cylinder 115 hp evinrude replaced it with 4 cylinder 140 hp johnson with no problems. Got a ring on it this week and cost to repair is more then its worth. Someome gave me a forumula to use and it came out to 120 hp. The boat is not here right now but the title ID no. is MBVV20390284 not sure if its the same but I think so. I'm pretty sure it's to big for what it's rated but i've got a 6 cylinder 150 hp. I can put on it. I guess my biggest question is do you think I can get away with it if I dont top speed and act a fool? Are when I lauch the boat will the motor go straight down and bow straight up. LOL !!! Do you also know the weight difference between 140 four cylinder and 150 six cylinder is? I thank you so much for your time !!!

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Well... a little more info on the motors could be useful. I take it they are all evinrudes???
What years? The 90* crossflow were about 60 lbs lighter than the newer 60*loopers IIRC.
300 lbs vs. 360 lbs for the V-4's (or somewhere close to that)
I'm not positive but I think it was apx a 100 lbs difference between the V-4 and the V-6.
I had a 175 V-6 crossflow on a 16' Sidewinder, no issues after I added a couple of knee braces to the transom.

Bob_VT

Staff member

The hardest part is that the boat "was" rated at 150 HP however, they had some construction issues. The company was in transition and before I even mounted any motor I would have the transom and structure checked very carefully.

There are known rot issues for the transom, stringers and wet flotation foam. A typical 2 stroke 150 will weigh in at about 400 lbs.

Sorry to say but I have seen MANY boats of that vintage heve some stucture problems.......please check carefully before you make a mistake.

good luck.

Boat Load

Recruit

The hardest part is that the boat "was" rated at 150 HP however, they had some construction issues. The company was in transition and before I even mounted any motor I would have the transom and structure checked very carefully.

There are known rot issues for the transom, stringers and wet flotation foam. A typical 2 stroke 150 will weigh in at about 400 lbs.

Sorry to say but I have seen MANY boats of that vintage heve some stucture problems.......please check carefully before you make a mistake.

good luck.

Motor is a 1985-150 Evinrude I think it said Pro V and when I get the boat back to the house I will pull the Fuel cell and inspect the transom. Guys Thanks So Much for ya'lls concerns and info. I will fill better about doing this now if the transom seems to be solid and I will check into the knee brace idea. I'm glad I stumbled across the forum for theres alot of good folks out there and they make up for the bad ones.

Bob_VT

Staff member

That is one of the BEST 150's available. The 1985 year is awesome and prop rated. You can anticipate 60 mph. Look at the link in my signature for ratings.

You will like it here.

Remember your kill lanyard and remember your PFD in a bass boat!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Years ago...I mean many years ago....over 25 of them.....My best friends dad had a 17 foot cajun bass boat with a 200 mercury Black Max on it. He let the two of us go out and play with it by ourselves (his dad wasn't known for his good judgment) We got out on the lake one smooth glassy afternoon and opened that rascal up. There were no GPS's around back then so I don't know how accurate the speedometer was, but it said 78 mph. My eyes were watering from the wind. Now if I get my B-liner up to 50 I get the willies, LOL, that is plenty fast enough for me.