Looking for my first boat!

tycoonbob

Recruit
Good evening everyone. First off, I would like to say hello to all, as I am new here.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I did not see where else to ask. I am new to boating. I have never driven a boat before, and I have not been on a personal boat since I was young, and I am now 23. I am looking to purchase my first boat sometime early next year.

So far I have decided that I want a bowrider, and I am currently looking around 19 ft, but there is nothing certain about that. From a few days of searching, I have found two boats that I like...but want to know if there is anything else I should be looking at.

Yamaha SX190 -- I like the deck area at the stern, and I like how it uses a low profile jet engine. It's out of the way, with ample seating above.
Stingray 195RX -- Seems like a great starter boat. I like how it's an I/O, which is my second choice after jet.

I also like that I can get either of these boats, new with a trailer and great features, for around $20k. With financing, that is around $200/mo...which is great. However, other than insurance and fuel, what other costs should I be looking at? What kind of maintenance would be required on a new boat such as one of theses? I am not set on a new boat, as I will also be looking at used boats once I get closer to pulling the trigger, but want something 2010 or new, if it's a 19 footer. Should I go a little older and get a bigger (22-23 ft)?

I do plan on taking a boating course with my local USCG Aux. What I plan to do with a boat is mostly day trips with 2-5 people, but sometimes up to 7 people. May try wakeboarding, but will probably do some tubing. I am also working on a SCUBA certification, so I want to be able to go out and dive. Whatever boat I get would most likely only be in a freshwater lake, in central KY. I do see myself keeping the boat for several years (7-10+), so maybe I will drive it down to Florida (Destin/Ft Walton area), since we go a few times a year.

Thoughts? What else should I be looking at? Any other boats in the realm of what I am looking at? $20k is my top budget, and of course lower is better. I would also like a sound system, and a built in cooler or a place to put one...but those both seem very common.

Thanks everyone!

eng208

Seaman
Re: Looking for my first boat!

Well, the 19footers get kind of tight when you put 5-7 people on board, along with coolers, towels, bags, and everything else that gets brought on a day trip. I think the 21 foot range would probably be minimum for length and carrying capacity. Any boat that has easy access in and out of the water can operate as a dive platform with some creativeness. The big deal there is room to keep dive gear. I am here to tell you, a BC, fins, tanks, weight belt (I refuse to carry weights on my BC), and everything else you start carrying takes up room. Add the fact you really need a diving partner or two, coolers, bags, etc, space really becomes a premium. Why not an outboard? I love outboards. Easier to work on, better use of space, and usually cheaper for same space available. With current platforms, really no reason not to consider.

tycoonbob

Recruit

Well, the 19footers get kind of tight when you put 5-7 people on board, along with coolers, towels, bags, and everything else that gets brought on a day trip. I think the 21 foot range would probably be minimum for length and carrying capacity. Any boat that has easy access in and out of the water can operate as a dive platform with some creativeness. The big deal there is room to keep dive gear. I am here to tell you, a BC, fins, tanks, weight belt (I refuse to carry weights on my BC), and everything else you start carrying takes up room. Add the fact you really need a diving partner or two, coolers, bags, etc, space really becomes a premium. Why not an outboard? I love outboards. Easier to work on, better use of space, and usually cheaper for same space available. With current platforms, really no reason not to consider.

Thanks for the reply. I will never be diving alone, and it would actually be me and my girlfriend when diving. Maybe two others onboard, not diving.

Do you think a 21 footer is too much for someone with literally no boating experience? 5-7 people would be a rare occurrence, as 2-4 will be typical. The Yamaha SX190 I really like since the back would make a great dive platform, and it has lots of storage. Maybe a used Yamaha SX210? Any other boat suggestions that would be around 10-16K used, or up to 20K new?

Outboards are not out of the question, I just didn't really see any when looking. I really like the Jet, since it seems to have tight steering and smooth (I think?). Can anyone give me a quick rundown of pros and cons between i/o, outboard, and jet?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jets are noisier and use more fuel than other types of propulsion. I'm not a skier but my sister is, she didn't like skiing behind a jet boat because she said the water was "softer" and didn't hold the skis up as well. Jets have great acceleration, shallow draft, and the safety factor of no propl
Outboards make the back of the boat hard to use for swimming or lounging. They are the easiest to maintain. Especially if you intent to boat in salt water.
I/O leave the back of the boat more open for swimming or water sports. They are quiet and fairly fuel efficient. They are the most maintenance intensive.
I prefer and I/O because we just cruise around, swim, and tow tubes and boards.
The Yamaha seems to be a great boat if you want a jet. Stingrays, as I understand, are mainly built for speed. I'm not so much into top speed. I prefer a boat that focuses on handling and a nice ride.
I can't imagine picking out a boat cold like you are. I was always on friends boats and kind of knew what I wanted. It might help to hang out around a marina and talk to people if they're willing. You can see what kind of boat they have and find out how they like it.

eng208

Seaman

The only things I don't like about a jet boat are slow speed manueverability, and it seems it takes a lot more HP rating to give the same forward motion. I/O just has always seemed to me to be a big maintenance hog. Think about this. Would you take your V6 or V8 and run it at 4500 RPM all day? It just doesn't seem conducive to long term life. Outboards are purpose built. Jets are too. I never liked standing on my head to do simple engine maintenance on the inboard/outboards either, which is why I went back to outboard.

tkz

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, I'm brand new to this game as well, hadn't been on a boat since I was a kid till last year, did some kayaking on a small lake. Ended up this year with a 1990 16 ft. Fiberglass Starcraft. I / O. Having a blast, boat is fine for the inland lakes, which as brand new,,probably where I should be for a whole. I am assuming which boat ya get depends on what you are going to do with it. Good luck on your new adventure too!

southkogs

Staff member

Do you think a 21 footer is too much for someone with literally no boating experience? 5-7 people would be a rare occurrence, as 2-4 will be typical.
Most 18' boats will accommodate about 8 people, but it'll be a little tight ... add dive gear and it's really packed. 4 adults on some 18's will make it tough to ski behind (not always, but consider that when looking at power). Would a 21' be too big for a newb? Not really, I'd say it'll be a little bit of a learning curve - but you're also talking about taking it down to the gulf sometimes. 24' or bigger, the learning curve is a bit steeper.

The Yamaha SX190 I really like since the back would make a great dive platform, and it has lots of storage. Maybe a used Yamaha SX210? Any other boat suggestions that would be around 10-16K used, or up to 20K new?
As a first time buyer - 1.) (IMHO) don't buy new just yet. Plan on this being your first boat and expect to upgrade. 2.) Visit some marinas and dealers and get in some boats. See what you like and don't like. 3.) Rent a couple boats and see how they work for you, and 4.) post some ads of boats that you like on the forums and get opinions.

Outboards are not out of the question, I just didn't really see any when looking.
Check THIS boat out. Used, in your price range, and an outboard. It would not be the best boat for skiing behind. Tubing, maybe. It would likely make a nice dive boat and you can store your gear in the cuddy. You can fit several people in that well deck, and she'd handle fine in the gulf.

It's not what you were looking for, but it's what I thought of with your first post.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of pros and cons between i/o, outboard, and jet?
All my opinions; nothing that scientific: Outboards are a little easier to learn on (they control a little easier). Maintenance is a bit easier with them and you keep some deck space 'cause the engine is overboard. The I/O setup is quieter, more efficient and keeps most of the control (steering) capabilities of the OB.

Jets are improving, but I think a little behind still. They have a lot of zip, but (I don't think) quite as much power. I also don't like how they steer yet - though, some of the bigger boats being built with 'em seem to be improving there too.

Welcome aboard.

tycoonbob

Recruit

Wow, I wrote a response yesterday morning but I guess it didn't post.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far, and I guess I didn't really think too much about getting an OB, except for the fact that I would like to be able to dive off the back of the boat. I know that's possible with an OB, I just figured it would be easier to dive without having to worry about it back there, but again diving would probably only be 20-40% of my trips. Most of the time it will be 2 people, but 4 people would also be coming...those 5-7 people trips would be much less frequent, but definitely want to be able to do it.

After reading some more, I have decided that for my first boat I will definitely buy used. It just makes sense, and will be less money I have in it, if I decide that my first boat isn't good enough to satisfy me. I'm sure I will be able to find some decent 19-22 foot bowriders around the 10-14k price point, once I get closer to buying.

I will also be hanging around my local marinas, and checking out some used dealers...as well as rentals to get my feet wet (pun intended). That's a great idea and I'm not sure how I didn't think of that already. That boat you had posted southkogs, is not really what I am looking for...but definitely a great looking boat for under 13k. I always figured I would be spending 30K+ to get into boating, but it looks like I am way wrong.

I really think I/O is what I am going to be going with, unless I find something like a used Yamaha 220SX for a great price.

Thanks again, and feel free to add anything else!