Bad Fuel Pump, carb rebuild, bad anti siphon valve, or all the above?

verbious

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. Much obliged for all the information that I have read on the forum.

1988 Invader MCM 200, (or 305). Purchased in July. Ran it for an hour the day we bought it and ran it even more since then.

I've had to fix a few things, but mostly we put gas in it and went.

2 outings ago, the RPM from WOT slowly dropped. At first I thought of something electrical because the lights dimmed a little, but i was messing with the trim to get the top speed back.

The same thing happened during the last outing but was a little more severe the longer I stayed in the throttle. Ease off the throttle, she just kept on running.

I am replacing both the water separator and the filter in the carb, but I suspect that I have something more sinister lurking in the depths of my carb or fuel pump that are going to leave me calling for a tow.

I've read that a failing anti siphoning valve can cause my symptoms, but I also know if fuel flow is restricted the same thing can happen, or if there are clogged main jets in the carb.

Additional info: It can and does run at WOT. I do have to apply the throttle when I start the engine when it is warm. So far it has always started and always run and there has never been any sputtering or back firing, it starts and goes, idles fine and planes off fine.

Anything I am overlooking?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bad Fuel Pump, carb rebuild, bad anti siphon valve, or all the above?

Bad Fuel Pump, carb rebuild, bad anti siphon valve, or all the above?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like you've got the Right headin',....

Inspect the contents of the fuel filter,... don't just toss it...

verbious

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bond-o. I poured the fuel from the separator into a plastic container. seems like there was some water in there. There was a little in there before I started. Is it possible that it is just water that is causin' my grief? I have a 49 gallon tank. It was darn near empty when we got her, and naturally I topped it off. However....it is tough to find ethanol free fuel here around the Pittsburgh area. I have been using Seafoam and Lucas Ethanol shield.

Maybe I should just run her dry and only put what I need in? The gauges were acting a little wonky and I got nervous about running out of gas, so I just topped her off.

Bondo

Staff member

Maybe I should just run her dry and only put what I need in?

Ayuh,.... That's 'bout what I'm doin' now a days,....

The crap they call gasoline these days, just don't keep fresh...

verbious

Seaman Apprentice

So I took my son and I and one if his friends out today on my day off. Last night, I replaced the fuel/water filter and the filter in the carb. There was some crud in the carb filter. Fired her right up, took off down the river and ran her for a few miles, slowed down, pulled a U turn and headed back up river. She started bogging a little, just knocking a few hundred RPM off the top. Gonna mess with the antisiphon valve tomorrow and perhaps take a real good look at the electrical wiring for something loose or grounding out somewhere.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

NHGuy

Captain

The anti siphon is a really simple thing, just put a wrench on the fitting it screws into when you undo it. Then remove it and clean it up.

Carry a couple of fuel water separators til you trust the fuel supply. If the boat acts good for a while each time you change the separator keep changing it when she acts badly.
And if the fuel is just loaded up with crud you might be smart to polish it up by repeatedly filtering it into jugs til it's clean.

verbious

Seaman Apprentice

Found what I think is the problem!!!!!! There was a ton crap jammed in the filter that was inside the pickup tube in the gas tank. Looked like sawdust actually. I've never had any trouble from my 5 gallon jerry cans in anything else that I've used them for. Weird.

Gonna reassemble tomorrow and run the hell out of her.