1956 cruizon restore

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everybody! I haven't posted in a long while (not that any of you noticed) but I've got a new project! Its a 1956 cruizon center console. It has a sbc and I think a velvetdrive. Its a 23ft glass on ply boat That was supposedly a harbor patrol boat most of its life. If anybody knows anything about cruizon i would love to learn more about them. I will be asking plenty of questions, but right now I'm still figuring out where to start! anyways Here are the pics

SAM_0547.jpg

SAM_0548.jpg

SAM_0539.jpg

SAM_0538.jpg

cruizonboats.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1956 cruizon restore

Cool looking boat. I have never heard of cruizon before. It looks like it has been sitting out in the weather for a long time from the looks of the motor and transmission. This should be a fun restore to watch.

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1956 cruizon restore

Thanks it is a cool boat, that's why I had to save it.
here's the first update and questions
This is the worst rot on the whole boat.
SAM_0549.jpg

and this is an overall shot of the hull
SAM_0550.jpg

Would I be better off replacing the plywood in as large a sheet as possible? or would smaller pieces be better?
The wood aft of the hole of rot i dug out is structurally sound and not water logged although it is discolored in places. how much of it do i need to replace? or would It be fine simply reglassed? should i treat it with anything?
also how much of the fiberglass skin can i remove at a time?