compression release, 1960 gale 35hp, similar to lark, do springs get weak?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
finally got motor running on both cylinders, but it seems to release compression on one of those valves. recoil has been removed so no levers are intact. so do these springs get weak? do the valves need lapping? doesn't happen at wot.and I haven't got the carb set yet. think my float is sticking and running out of gas, runs wot then dies so that's probably valve and am taking carb back apart. anyway my main question is the compression release. thanks for any thoughts, ron

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: compression release, 1960 gale 35hp, similar to lark, do springs get weak?

I've never seen the springs get weak, but I have seen bits of carbon get sucked into the valves and create a poor seal. Lapping them a bit might help. Even opening them with the starter arm enough to blow into them with compressed air or carb cleaner might help.

I am actually in the latter stages of rebuilding one of these. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it wouldn't turn over. A complete tear down found one piston still decent, and the other with severely stuck rings. I had another good piston & rings from a Johnson 35hp powerhead, and now have the powerhead reassembled. I finished up the ignition this morning and only have the fuel system remaining before I am ready to get her wet. Only thing I am missing is one of the cowling's "Sea King" badges. Mine came with a shell from an identical motor - between two cowlings I have only ONE of the badges! Figures...

Attachments

• SeaKing35_0056.jpg
    SeaKing35_0056.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SeaKing35_0057.jpg
    SeaKing35_0057.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

great idea, will compress and spray some carb cleaner around. found the fuel problem, I think. rubber hose from cylinder to the fuel pump has a hole in it. big hole, real big hole. found this after swapping out extra carb I have. getting pretty fast at that and pulling flywheel. ha ha. not sure if it a vacum hose or pressure hose, pretty stiff. original hose and should probably be replaced on next old motor I work on. thanks for the reply, ron

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Are you referring to the hose that runs from the transfer port cover to the fuel pump? That's a pulse line - it operates the diaphragm in the fuel pump. It most definitely needs to be intact and leak-free.