1988 Evinrude 140 V4 - Water Tube Size

NZmike

Cadet
I have just dropped the Gearcase off my 1988 140 V4 to overhaul the Water pump and replace the Impeller whilst at the same time carrying out some routine maintenance on the Gearcase. On removing the Gearcase I noticed that the Water Tube was slightly damaged and crushed and just thought that I would replace the entire Tube on reinstallation. I have now brought the entire Lower Gearcase back home with me, some three hours drive from where the boat is housed to do the overhaul and after a little research have discovered what a large job replacing the Water tube is. I have decided that rather than pull the power head and replace the Water Tube I will machine up and adapter to fit over the cover and seal farther up the Water Tube past where the damage has occurred. My major problem is however as I thought I was going to replace the tube I did not note the size at all and now that I am ready to machine the adapter I have no idea what size to machine to and what size seals to install into my adapter. If there is anybody who knows the size of this Water Tube (outside diameter) if would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance for any help. Regards Mike

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Evinrude 140 V4 - Water Tube Size

16 mm OD . thats measuring with a engineers rule

NZmike

Cadet

Awesome, thank you so much for that as it was impossible to find on the net. A local marine shop had tried to tell me that it was half inch but I doubted that was correct. Again thankyou.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

for the top grommet where the pipe has been flanged i use a o-ring & a special hydraulic rubber seal \washer it,s got a curved up lip on the inside diameter if works wonders all for 2dlrs .