Which cable stops reverse from working?

limoman

Seaman Apprentice
I know the reverse/forward cable is broken because it goes forward no matter what I do.
Which one of these control the forward/reverse engagement? Both are the same part number but go to different locations in the rear. This is a 90 hp Mariner on a 90 Bayliner Capri

Thanks in advance.

2012-08-20_12-37-42_766 (Medium).jpg
2012-08-20_12-40-44_655 (Medium).jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which cable stops reverse from working?

Can't tell which cable from the photo.

But, one cable operates the throttle. It makes a long and continuous movement as the control lever is moved forward.

And one cable operated the shift lever. It makes a short movement and then stays stationary as the other cable continues to move.
This cable will move either forward or aft, depending on which way you move the shift lever.

Generally if a cable "goes bad", it doesn't work at all.

If it goes into forward gear no matter "what you do", I would suspect a problem in the controls at the helm.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like the bottom one is the shift cable. Have someone move the remote handle forward while you watch the engine. One of the cables (I believe the upper one) should cause linkages to move and the carb throttle plate to rotate (do this with the engine off). Once in gear (either forward or reverse) the prop will "lock" and you will not be able to spin by hand (again, do this with the engine off).

Once you figure out which one is not the throttle, with the engine off and control in neutral, loosen the clamp securing the cable at the engine (can't see how it is attached from the picture, but disconnecting the shift cable from the linkage would be best). Actuate the metal bar forward and reverse - the prop should lock in both directions and free spin in neutral. If all looks well at the engine, you likely have a bad cable or a problem at the remote.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

The shift cable may have broken while it was in forward position. If you study the cables and linkage at the engine you should be able to determine the shift cable. Trace the linkage back from the throttle to a cable. That cable will not be the shift cable. Once you have determined the shift cable,remove it from where it attatches at the engine. Now pull on that end of the cable....if it pulls out of the sheath it is broken. If it doesn't, you may have a problem at the helm OR the lower unit.

limoman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information my friends. I will be back down there toady to peek around and figure it out. I know very little about boats but tons about mechanics and asphalt vehicles. Thanks again for the advice...

limoman

Seaman Apprentice

Well thanks for your help but apparently it isn't the cable. I can watch the cable go from forward and to reverse passing the momentary type neutral switch. I guess it is in the lower unit somewhere.

Dang it... No easy fixes here that's for sure.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd still disconnect the cable from the arm and then engage it by hand - see if the prop locks as mentioned above. It could simply be out of adjustment and what looks like it is going into reverse, may only be pushing it part of the way.

limoman

Seaman Apprentice

I'd still disconnect the cable from the arm and then engage it by hand - see if the prop locks as mentioned above. It could simply be out of adjustment and what looks like it is going into reverse, may only be pushing it part of the way.

Thanks for the help. I found the problem and for once it is cheaper & more simple than a new cable IMO. Drive reverse connection.jpg

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Yep , that'll do it every time ! Glad you found it! Have you found a replacement pin ? What ever you do ....DO NOT rotate the lower rod...that will screw up the adjustment !

limoman

Seaman Apprentice

Yep , that'll do it every time ! Glad you found it! Have you found a replacement pin ? What ever you do ....DO NOT rotate the lower rod...that will screw up the adjustment !

And how would you rotate that rod?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

that rod is threaded at the bottom end to make the adjustment in the lower unit. If you twist it (rotate it) you would alter the adjustment. Trust me you do not want that headache !
And how would you rotate that rod?

limoman

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't touched it thank goodness. Thanks for the heads up.