AQ170 dies when accelerate.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Having problem with acceleration on my AQ170 with 3 Solex downdraft setup.
Starts and idles OK but if accelerate faster it dies, so I have to pushing the throttle extremely slow in small increments to get her revs.Ones on the RPM no problem a lot of power.
Acceleration pumps working,carbs recently rebuild , need some clue or help, thanks.

captmello

Captain
Re: AQ170 dies when accelerate.

Are you sure the accelerator pumps are working? Sure sounds like they are not, or they are not squirting soon enough.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for respond,
all three pumps works,but they must be late,not sure how to advance them.
I had same problem on other 4cyl. shortly after used aftermarket carbs rebuild kit a/a problem appear .
Those pump membranes must be differend.

atcra

Seaman

simular issue like that happened to me at the lake...one day i was pulling the kids wakeboarding and tubeing and the next day i could not do anything with out it quitting on me. I took the inline fuel filter out and it ran fine. Went to auto parts store got new inline filter. Also...when i first got my boat several years ago the tube coming off the backside of the Carb (over flow tube i guess) that goes into the manual fuel pump had dried and cracked and was sucking air when i was on the water. At the house idleing and reving was fine...but under power it would starve. Just thoughts!

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just check acceleration pumps with help of other person,and they spray fuel on touch of the throttle,can't be fuel starvation since it work fine under full power.
Still looking for solution,thanks.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked the timing advance?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check the advance, counterweight springs may be rusted. under the breaker plate

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run 12*BTDC with new electronic "Hot Spark" system,factory 28*BTDC cause valve knock under power.