Need a new flywheel installed- how much do you think it should cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat is a 2000 ChrisCraft Deck Boat, 23 foot.

Last summer I had a hydrolock on my Volvo Penta 5.7 SX. I got that taken care of, and the boat ran great. This year, first time out, starter problems- making knocking and grinding sounds when first turning the key, but it started the boat alright. Nevertheless, I changed out the starter (found there was an automotive starter on it). Seemed fine through a couple of test starts. Then took it to the lake this last weekend, and each start was worse than the last, until at last it was spending more time spinning than starting. Got the boat going and came home.

I took it to my local (and only within 110 miles) boat repair guy, and he feels that the hydrolock probably knocked some teeth off the flywheel when my son tried to start it on the lake after it happened. Seems strange to me that it worked for a couple of trips just fine and then started not working just this year. He said the flywheel would be about $100 for the part, but the labor would be in the $1500 range. He says, and I understand, that he has to pull the engine to change out the flywheel.

Does the labor price seem a little high to anyone out there? I got back too late to call any other repair places upstate to comparison shop. Could it be anything else (misaligned starter, need more shims, loose mounts, anything?) Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need a new flywheel installed- how much do you think it should cost?

Boat is a 2000 ChrisCraft Deck Boat, 23 foot.

Last summer I had a hydrolock on my Volvo Penta 5.7 SX. I got that taken care of, and the boat ran great. This year, first time out, starter problems- making knocking and grinding sounds when first turning the key, but it started the boat alright. Nevertheless, I changed out the starter (found there was an automotive starter on it). Seemed fine through a couple of test starts. Then took it to the lake this last weekend, and each start was worse than the last, until at last it was spending more time spinning than starting. Got the boat going and came home.

I took it to my local (and only within 110 miles) boat repair guy, and he feels that the hydrolock probably knocked some teeth off the flywheel when my son tried to start it on the lake after it happened. Seems strange to me that it worked for a couple of trips just fine and then started not working just this year. He said the flywheel would be about $100 for the part, but the labor would be in the $1500 range. He says, and I understand, that he has to pull the engine to change out the flywheel.

Does the labor price seem a little high to anyone out there? I got back too late to call any other repair places upstate to comparison shop. Could it be anything else (misaligned starter, need more shims, loose mounts, anything?) Thanks

Ayuh,.... I think I'd count the teeth, before I pulled the motor....

'n ya need a new Ring Gear,... Not a Flywheel....

It's an easy swap, once the flywheel is on the bench...

It sounds more like a starter, or starter alignment issue anyways,...

Generally speakin',... If there's teeth missin' on the ring gear,...
It'll always stop at the same point, causin' the problem Everytime ya start it...

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not above paying for a technician's time, but don't take advantage of me. The price to do the job seems very high--2 day job.

A good mechanic can have an inboard outboard engine on a stand in 1/2 hour tops. Last time I pulled my Mercruiser motor, I dropped the outdrive in 5 minutes. Other than the motor mount (screwing into the floor with lag bolts,) there is just one screw on each side of the engine with a tapered washer. Unhook the fuel line (clamped), take off the exhaust and cooling hoses (clamped) and unplug the electrical harness. You're ready to hoist the engine out.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 ^^^^^

My first engine removal from a cruiser took an hour. I actually spent more time labeling the wires, hoses and cables than the actual lifting out part. If I were in your shoes (and it was a CONFIRMED flywheel issue) I would pay no more than $500 for the labor.

Good luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Show us a picture of what your engine compartment access looks like. Every boat is different and some boat designers have strange ideas of how they stuff engines into boats.

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called around the state and the cheapest I could find would be $1200. I finally found a boat mechanic who agreed with most of you that it really sounds more like a misaligned or wrong starter than the flywheel. I'll take it to him, plus his labor cost is more reasonable if he does have to pull the engine. He gets good ratings online, so we'll see. I'll keep everyone informed on my ordeal!

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An update and a question-

I was referred to a boat mechanic who works out of a shop in his backyard. He came recommended, so I pulled the boat 130 miles to have him look at it. He checked out the starter and the flywheel, had the starter checked out first. Found the bolts on the starter were too long (not the right ones for the mounting) and that the flywheel was okay. He's not sure what may have caused the initial starter noise, but that the first repair by my local shop was done incorrectly and that the starter was not put on right. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I really, really hope this is the end of it, but-

If I'm out on the lake and it doesn't work (as in it is a bad ring gear) and I need to align the engine with the starter how do I do this?

thanks

Derbytime1

Cadet
I know this has been dormant a long time, but how did you ever make out on this? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.