96 4.3 Mercruiser - starter help still

ricker6_1

Cadet
Had the starter tested at Auto Zone - passed. Installed it and get a whining sound but not engaging on flywheel. Batteries new from this year. Electrical connections are not corroded. What happened... went to start the engine three times but had noticed the kill switch was on, turned it off and starter wouldn't engage just whining. Had sea tow take us in and during the trip, figured out that the spot light had been on and I figured it had drained the battery. Charged the batteries overnight, reinstalled the starter thinking I'm good. Same whining starter is not engaging. Try not to be too harsh on the insults, I know I'm an idiot for creating this debacle. I like to do my own work on my boat and as you can see I do a good job at keeping myself busy.

cr2k

Captain
Re: 96 4.3 Mercruiser - starter help still

Bar the engine over 1/4 turn and try again. If this works your ring gear has a bad spot. Time for a new one. No not a flywheel you can just replace the ring gear.

1ruralmailman

Seaman

i would second that.pull the starter loook in there i bet your missing some teeth,or as said rotate it with a bar on the front pulley and try to start it.if you do need a new one the motor needs to come out to replace the gear,so it may be easier to keep a socket and extension bar on board till you can get to it.you can get a new one through auto zone for like 20 bucks,and have an auto machine shop put it on.but the motor out deal is a bugger to the deal.

ricker6_1

Cadet

Thank you for the help... Update, I looked at the ring gear and didn't see any teeth broken. I turned the engine 1/4 turn with a wrench after removing plugs to check for water, there wasn't any water. When I tried to start it, the starter would engage for a moment once for every few attempts but the starter fails to turn the engine over. The belt in the front of the engine barely moves. On two occasions the motor turned a 1/4 turn and almost started. If I were to turn the ignition and hold it, the starter won't keep turning over the motor, like it used to, so I'm back to looking at the starter being the culprit. Even though I checked the starter at Autozone and they said it was good, I suspect I need the starter rebuilt. Thank you for the help in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bendix could be shot on the starter. Autozone is probably the worst place to get a starter checked. Do you have a starter, alternator, and electric motor shop in your area? They can fix it for you.

ricker6_1

Cadet

Don, thank you for your help. I see that you respond to so many posts and help so many people. I appreciate the time you take to help out so many on this forum. Truly grateful.

I agree with Don, too many inexperienced kids working at Autozone. Where in MA are you?

ricker6_1

Cadet

I live in Taunton, south end near North Dighton. I've launched out of Westport a couple of times. There was a ramp just after a bridge with a Marina on the right when going to Horseneck beach. Once off a sandy ramp I think further down, that was a joke. Westport is a nice area, I went blue crabbing down there years ago.

The town ramp at that bridge is good... as well as the ramp in Dartmouth. Nice short ride out and floating docks at the ramp.

There is an auto electrical rebuld shop in Fall River:
AER Automotive Electrical
205 Tower St
Fall River, MA 02724
(508) 676-0348
He rebuilds starters and alternators there. He is just off Plymouth Ave, have used them in the past with good results. Definately cheaper than new.

There may be a shop to you closer in Taunton, not sure.

ricker6_1

Cadet

I got a new marine starter at an automotive rebuild place in Taunton. They said for a 10 to 20 bucks more I could get a new marine starter. I had brought them a starter to rebuild 15 years ago on an old 1967 80 horse johnson outboard. I couldn't get a starter since that style was obsolete. They used a high strength epoxy, repaired it and said it should last me, which it did. Thanks for letting me know about the shop in Fall River. I would have gone there if the place in Taunton wasn't an option.

ricker6_1

Cadet

Replaced the starter, started first attempt. I have a new respect for what this little starter does. To turn the engine with a socket and wrench took significant effort. Thanks for the help and advice.