Can marine starters and solenoids go bad from getting wet?

About 4 months ago, I had my starter replaced at a local boat shop for about $300 since it had to be a marine starter. You may notice I have posted several questions over the last couple of weeks trying to determine why my boat wouldn't start. I finally took it back to the same boat shop, he took the starter off and checked inside it for rust since it would not be replaced under warranty from the manufacturer if it had rust inside. Well, it had rusted and locked up. My response was "but it's a marine grade starter, you would have to expect it to get water on it to some degree" Is this the case? How dry does this starter have to stay in order not to rust?

Thanks,
Billy

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Can marine starters and solenoids go bad from getting wet?

They will occasionally get a little wet, but should never get submerged. That means you have a LOT of water in your bilge. If your bilge is staying that damp, you might have some other issues creating the problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Marine starters are no more protected from water than automotive starters. What makes them "Marine" starters is the fact the are ignition protected. Which means they are shielded to prevent sparks from inside the starter igniting any gas fumes that might be in the bilge if something were to leak.

Bondo

Staff member

About 4 months ago, I had my starter replaced at a local boat shop for about $300 since it had to be a marine starter. You may notice I have posted several questions over the last couple of weeks trying to determine why my boat wouldn't start. I finally took it back to the same boat shop, he took the starter off and checked inside it for rust since it would not be replaced under warranty from the manufacturer if it had rust inside. Well, it had rusted and locked up. My response was "but it's a marine grade starter, you would have to expect it to get water on it to some degree" Is this the case? How dry does this starter have to stay in order not to rust?

Thanks,
Billy

Nope,.... Not the case at All,... Anytime yer starter goes Swimmin',.... You'll be replacin' it....

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I once had an '88 Bayliner with an OMC 2.3 liter engine. The starter went bad, the electrical shop said it was all rusted up inside and needed to be replaced. I replaced it with an other new marine starter for a couple hundred bucks. After a few months it had the same problem. This boat was never underwater, always covered outside, never stored in the water. As far as I know the starter never had water even touch it.
I can't remember if I paid for a 3rd marine starter or not. I decided that the sealed up case of a marine starter must not be letting the condensation out. I installed an automotive starter with an open, vented case. Yes, I realize now this is very dangerous. At the time I didn't know any better. I ran that boat for about 2 years with that starter and never had any further problems. Therefore, I think my assumption must have been correct, it was condensation not being able to escape. My solution, however, could have killed me.

southkogs

Staff member

Can they not rebuild your starter? I had mine redone a couple years ago. Don't think it cost me $60 to have it rebuilt.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Ditto to the above, you must keep it as dry as possible. Water in the bilge can kill a starter, and water dripping from an exhaust manifold drain above the solenoid can rust that up in no time. This happened to me once and now when I replace the drain plugs I put a bit of OMC gasket sealer on them. It rusted it up so bad in one season that I had to cut the wires off and re-terminate them.

Southkogs, he says that he doesn't rebuild them himself and would have to have it sent out for that. Then, since he's not the one doing the work, he's had more trouble than it's worth. I've asked him for the old starter, though, and intend to get it rebuilt as a backup.

LouC, Yes, I've had some water in the bilge but I have a pump. I never thought about those manifold drain plugs being the issue. That has to be a big contributor to the problem because mine do drip since they are old. I was thinking no big deal, it's a boat engine. Man, I've learned a lot in 6-7 months. When it costs money you tend to remember what you learn. Ha!

southkogs

Staff member

Southkogs, he says that he doesn't rebuild them himself and would have to have it sent out for that. Then, since he's not the one doing the work, he's had more trouble than it's worth. I've asked him for the old starter, though, and intend to get it rebuilt as a backup.
For sure - find ya' a good shop to rebuild 'em for you. I've got three electric motors in my boat (including the starter) that I've had rebuilt at one time or another. There's an auto shop in Nashville that'll do 'em for me reasonably.