Good news !! water pump is in and works . Still have a question

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went back together much easier then taking it off :) I did have to cut a small square in whats called the driveshaft housing assembly ( on the parts page) to soak the driveshaft for the lower unit to drop . I have not had this fixed yet as i wanted to see if the pump was working first and gears would change ect. I noticed there is water in driveshaft housing assembly . It wasn't coming out the hole i had cut , was much lower then that .

In the picture below is an idea of what iam talking about . The black square with the red outline is the hole i cut and the blue outline is about the level of were the water was . Is that fine or no ? If so iam gonna redrop the lower and have the hole i cut fixed . ( my camera is not working so this is a great MS paint version by me --- no ribbing me about my ms paint skills )

1340033852_401895240_2-Pictures-of--60hp-Mariner.jpg

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Good news !! water pump is in and works . Still have a question

If it not supposed to be like that , what do i need to check ?

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drop it off the back of the boat ? :)

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone ?

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess its not something to worry about , i let it run 8 to 10 mins with muffs , never got hot to where i couldn't touch the head . Checked lower unit oil and it had no water in it . Its gonna be alittle big for my boat but i think it may be alright on there .

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'm going to say that the engine has an exhaust tube which helps the loop charging to function. These tubes fit into the mid section (part you are talking about). I'd say don't worry. On covering your hole, a little JB weld putting the plug back, sandpaper and spray paint ought to work.

Mark

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

I say go fishing like Texasmark . me I do not understand why you cut the hole.