question about 225 etec

tsport

Seaman Apprentice
in the process of looking at a boat that has a 2001 225hp etec the motor only has about 100 hr and it runs good what else should i know about this motor what bugs do they have and what to look out for thanks in advance for any info

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: question about 225 etec

2001 were not etecs but ficht-rams . nevertheless, you cannot look much here. if it starts idles and runs good you may go for it. a good visual condition and a service history is of course always good.

the bugs - well, i would not call it a bug, but the ficht rams are such complicated and full of electronics that there is not much room for a quick self made repair, when out of luck you may run into severe costs and may have trouble to find someone with really knowledge about these engines.

on the other hand- when it runs you will be amazed .

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's not an E-Tec but a Ficht. Stay away from it. The E-Tec's are excellent mtrs tho'.

tsport

Seaman Apprentice

fichts are that bad? you guys are really scaring me there has to be somthing good about them

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's about the time OMC went broke and some of their last mtrs were really bad but it's your choice. JMHO.

tsport

Seaman Apprentice

the motor is 2001 it was comissioned in 07 and has a years worth of warrenty left untill 2013 I guess i should have asked the questions first now i'm kind of comitted to it but it dose look very clean and has very low hours