Fiber Washers for a Pressurized Fuel Tank

'57 'rude

Cadet
I have a 6 gallon pressurized fuel tank that I am restoring. The fuel tank?s top plate is mounted to the tank by eight screws, and underneath each screw head is a fiber washer. I am searching for some new fiber washers to replace the old ones, but I am having a difficult time finding them inexpensively. The multiple websites that I have found sell the washers (OMC Part # 301814) for about $3 per washer. I do not want to spend more than $20 for only eight washers.

Is there a place that sells these washers for a cheaper price, and if not, is there a less expensive alternative washer that I can use that would work okay? I could not find any fiber washers of the right size for sale locally at a hardware or automotive store. I do have punch tools so making my own is no problem if I can locate a source for the correct material.

Thanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fiber Washers for a Pressurized Fuel Tank

When you were looking at the hardware store, were you in the fastener aisle or the plumbing aisle? Might find something close in with the faucet rebuild stuff...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fiber Washers for a Pressurized Fuel Tank

Don't laugh, but I made some one time in a pinch out of a plastic jug. I had all intensions of replaceing them when I got home, but they were working OK so I left them alone.