pertronics distributor?

oil can

Cadet
I went on the boat this weekend for a camp trip and it had some running problems. When we started to inspect things we found that the mech advance springs were broke and the stock dist was probly past its life exspectancy. So I did a couple quick searches and they have a lot of dist options for a marine 351 w. The one I saw that caught my eye was the pertronics dist which claims to be a stock replacement. My question is witch one will work with the shift interupt system and which won't.

What say you?

P.S. its a 78 omc stringer with 351w.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: pertronics distributor?

78 was hydromechanical shifting lower unit originally, the shift assist system was introduced on OMC's around 1982

Unless your boat has been retrofitted, there wouldn't be an ESA

oil can

Cadet

My bad I should of said it has been converted to mech shift..... it has a 82 lower unit.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I suspect any of the electronic distributors would be ok as long as you used the RAPAIR/CDI brand "electronic compatible" ESA.
Or, you could search up the conversion from OMC ESA to a Mercruiser style interrupt wiring setup. There have been a few threads here over the years. I haven't done that conversion, but many have to eliminate the ESA module altogether.

oil can

Cadet

The cdi has been replaced so it looks like I'm good to go. Having the mech adv working again will be nice. Thanks for the imput howard.

Ebay here I come!