Commander 3000 Classic; Service Manual??

JoJoBetsy

Seaman
Hello all,<br /><br />Sorry about the shotgun postings.<br /><br />Have a Commander 3000 Classic remote and want to do my own maintenance/troubleshooting. Everyone I've talked to, Merc mechs and Joe Boaters alike, all tell me, "Ahh yeah, leave that thing alone man, it's complicated." Well that just piques my interest and makes the pocket my wallet resides in feel extremely warm! Some human put the thing together and made it work so another [namely us] should be able to do the same. Hopefully, with a service manual and my trusted iboats.com forum-ites, that dude can be me!<br /><br />I've seen there are different serial number series for the remote, i.e. Axx-Axx, so if I need the s/n first let me know. Thanks again for all the help and be safe out there.<br /><br />jb

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Commander 3000 Classic; Service Manual??

The manual for the 3000 series is Merc pn 90-814705R2

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they are actually simple, time consuming but simple.<br /> I dont repair to many because the time factor at 75-100 per hour.<br />the box costs 250 or so, 2 hours to dissasemble/reassemble and 50 buxs worth of parts puts it in the replace rather than repair catagory. thats what I love when I work in Venezuela, they repair everyting.<br /> however trained techs there are non-existant. hopefully soon I can change a bit of that.<br /> I find to many techs here are 10 dollar an hour monkeys that dont mind sweating.<br /> its a sham.<br /> I watched a "master" merc tech today drive a gimbal bearing in by the the center of the bearing. I was speechless.<br />and for me to be speechless is a feat.

SUMMIT

Recruit

JUST MADE THIS REPAIR ON MY 1987 CONTOLLER. THERE IS A SMALL KIT FROM MERC TO REPAIR THIS FOR UNDER $8.00. THE STINKER IS TAKING THE CONTROLER APART IS A LITTLE TEADEOUS BUT WITH A COOL HEAD CAN BE DONE BY THE BACKYARD GEAR HEAD, AS I HAVE PROVED. THIS ALSO GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO GREASE THE ASSEMBLY, PROBABLY FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE IT WAS BUILT. HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED THE PART #, I MAY STILL HAVE IT.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 3000 controller is different from your 87 controller.<br /><br />and Please, turn off the cap lock.