Best way to clean/wax hull?

Cobalt226

Cadet
For the first time in my boating life my boat is being kept in the water. It is starting to develop a "toilet bowl ring". Almost every time we go out I swim around the boat and use a brush to clean as much off as possible, but it is getting a ring. I was hoping to get some advise on what the best way to clean this off the hull and then what is the best wax to use to help prevent this in the future? Anyone have tips and/or advise on what products to use? Thanks!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Best way to clean/wax hull?

Is the gelcoat shiny? or oxadised? If it's oxidised....bad spelling... it needs to be compounded,cleaned real well and several coats of wax applied. mine has the same problem,Bought used this year but it's alot better since I did that. I found out recently that when washing you should not use dish soap,it takes off the wax leading to dull finish alot faster. I now use boat wash I get from the local marina.I also use boat wax as it seems to hold up better than car wax.Good luck!
Grub
Of course any boat kept in the water will get the ring but proper prep helps for cleaning later on. You gould use a deck brush rou scrubbing from the side while standing in the boat.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The scum line that forms can be made up of different things and will vary from one body of water to the next, so finding a product that works can be a little tricky, but locals typically know what works best for their location. So ask at the marina.

Most waxes don't hold up all that long in and/or underwater, so waxing helps some, but not long term.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For the first time in my boating life my boat is being kept in the water. It is starting to develop a "toilet bowl ring". Almost every time we go out I swim around the boat and use a brush to clean as much off as possible, but it is getting a ring. I was hoping to get some advise on what the best way to clean this off the hull and then what is the best wax to use to help prevent this in the future? Anyone have tips and/or advise on what products to use? Thanks!

Leave the ring .. there is nothing that I know of that will prevent that ring from happening ..

When you Haul or trailer use some http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2339 to get rid of the grim/stains.

Waxing will not help ..

YD.