water in oil

shifter nut

Cadet
:( well i replaced my manifolds and heat risers , head gaskets, head bolts, intake bolts, thermostat, all coolant hoses, fresh water pump, ...i posted a while back and with previous work done except for the manifolds,risers...engine had hydrolocked and broke the starter...since that post ive replaced the starter and the manifolds ...ran my boat on muffs and in a tube of water for good water supply. let it run about 25 minutes shut it off rechecked all my clamps had a few water drips...started boat again let run shut down checked oil was good. restarted engine let run again for another 20mins or so noticed engine oil pressure was jumping around..checked oil was milky white...what am i missing.....5.7 liter inboard

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in oil

Did you check the oil level on the dip stick? If it was ok, and is now well over full and milky, chances are you have a cracked block.

shifter nut

Cadet

thanks for the responce,,,not what i wanted too hear....i guess its time for a new engine thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't say that you needed a new engine, only it was a good chance. Did you check the lifter valley for cracks when you had the heads off? Did you even look?

NHGuy

Captain

You can check externally by clamping off the cooling system with line clamps and pressurizing to find the leak. But with the stuff you replaced if you are still getting water in the oil it sounds like you have a cracked block. I just found the same thing in mine. They often fail inside the vee on the port side. This is often from failed draining to winterize the motor. The trapped water freezes and breaks the inner water jacket.

shifter nut

Cadet

yes i checked the lifter valley i did not see any cracks.. ive been a mechanic for 20 plus years,,,the marine side is all new to me i work on tractor trailers heavy equipement.....i also checked the heads for cracks and did not see anything .. i will try too pressure test this animal after work tomarrow...thanks all

NHGuy

Captain

Then clamp off the cooling hoses and put in 15 or 20 psi. Listen carefully to hear where the leak comes from. Check for air leak sounds at the exhaust, the intake, the oil stick and the valve covers, and around the outside of the motor too. There's got to be one unless you fudged up any of the gaskets you did. Which should be your hope, that's cheaper than a block.

shifter nut

Cadet

thanks i will check it out .. havent had time yet too pressure check it after clamping the coolant hoses off can i put pressure threw the exhaust manifolds on the water side. i made a fitting that screws in with a valve stem in it..

shifter nut

Cadet

Well one thing i over looked while running my boat on muffs, i had the water facet wide open not knowing your not suppouse too do that. i think the exhaust filled up and water went threw the exhaust vavles.. is this possiblei still havent had time to pressure test it..

dollarten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only danger of having to much water pressure is that the muffs might slide off and open up the water intake ports and subsequently ruin the water pump Even having one water inlet port uncovered could be trouble . There would be no danger of getting water in the oil by over pressuring the muffs

shifter nut

Cadet

Well i,ll half too pressure test it this week end....i,ll post what i find....