Off Shore Fishing

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
stating right up front that I have a very healthy respect (read that as fear) of being out on the ocean, I have some questions for folks with first hand knowledge off shore fishing in small boats .... what is the shortest length that you would feel comfortable taking off shore for fishing ... how far off shore are you be willing to go ... for those whose boat is powered by a single outboard, does having only one motor cause you any concern

Jim

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Off Shore Fishing

We used to fish a 17' tri-hull with a merc 90 on the boxcars, 15+ miles from port and never thought twice about it.

I run my single outboard motor out 30-40 miles on a regular basis. We been out 60+ numerous times

Many single engine boats out there. Many of the charters are single engine so obviously, you do not need two motor to fish offshore.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Jim, it's mainly a function of the weather conditions. The boat doesn't know where it is and it's gonna go where you take it. The key is to make sure (as best you can) that the anticipated weather will permit your trip. I've taken a 15 footer out 10+ miles on a flat day with a good forecast. You have to use your best judgement, then prepare (as best you can) for the unexpected. Keep spares of those things that could be serviced while on the water. Make sure you have the appropriate emergency gear and, by all means, file a float plan with a responsible person. That way, if you encounter issues, someone knows where to go looking for you! Good Luck

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used to fish up to 8-10 miles out in the Gulf Stream in my Johnny 70 powered 1966 Boston Whaler Sakonnet 16 with no concern, as long as I watched the weather.

I did take her to Bimini from Miami a couple of times as part of a flotilla. Got swamped by a bad wake once, drove her dry. I don't think many 16' boats could have done that.

Fly Rod

Commander

In my 26 footer one 225 engine I go out 10-25 miles depending on wind, weather conditions.... when weather starts to turn do not say that you R going to fish another 10 or 20 minutes start heading home...if your gunnels R low you do not stand a chance in a 3 foot chop going into the wind better have a good pump...U do not always have a following sea....make sure U have a good VHF radio and antenna.... according to coast guard rules a cell phone is not considered a safety device...put cell phone in a freezer lock bag do not press out the air or it will sink fast....GPS on so U can give coast guard lat./longs if needed....have boat towing insurance from boat US or tow boat US they are good for out to 20 miles or so around here for about 150 bucks.. better then having to pay 500 or 600 bucks or more... Two engines R better then one in case of problems.

Have fun...safe boating....no booze if U R operater of vessel....I'm sure I will get some flack about the booze...:) :)

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

I used to fish in 20' center console, single engine (115 Johnson), never cared how far offshore or how long I stayed out. A friend told me he was getting an 18 footer, and I said, "Do you really want to go offshore in that boat?". He answered, "Do you really want to be out on a day when that extra 2' is the difference between coming back or not?"

Good point. The obvious answer is no. On the other hand, sometimes it goes all to hell while you're out there, and in that case, I'd take the extra couple of feet.

So it depends on you and your area - how far do you have to run? Can you get back into safer waters in a short run or is it hours? A 17' boat with more freeboard would be better than the same length flats boat.

Good luck. Don't take it lightly, but don't be paranoid. Every boater who has ever been out of sight of land knows the old saying, "Oh, Lord, your sea is vast and my boat is so small".

Bob

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've had my flats boat 20+ miles offshore in the Keys fishing dolphin, as everyone says pick your day.

kfa4303

Banned

I love your signature pic Capt Sam. What type of skiff is it? (ECC, Ankona, HB)

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Don't take it lightly, but don't be paranoid. Every boater who has ever been out of sight of land knows the old saying, "Oh, Lord, your sea is vast and my boat is so small".

Bob

I've had my flats boat 20+ miles offshore in the Keys fishing dolphin, as everyone says pick your day.

thanks for the replies .... picking the day is most certainly critical, I just wish I had more confidence in our local weather prognosticators ..:confused:.. prior to taking our boat off shore, I think I'll make a strong effort to find someone who knows what he is doing take it out with me as an observer

Jim

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

thanks for the replies .... picking the day is most certainly critical, I just wish I had more confidence in our local weather prognosticators ..:confused:.. Jim
Offshore Skill Number 1. Learn to be your own weatherman.

The weather changes from location to location. It can be bright and sunny at your house and pouring rain a 1/2 mile down the road.

Its blowing 15 kts. at the beach yet be calm 2 miles inland. Typical weather anomaly. Anyone who has spent any time on the water knows about it. Warm land, cold water creates a temperature inversion which creates wind.

An abrupt wind change is trouble.

Tonight’s forecast, dark. Followed by widely scattered daylight in the morning.

sasto

Captain

What can I say that hasn't already been said! I agree with all of them. As with JB, before I became a Captain, I also took a small boat to the Bahamas from Florida.

Good luck.....and catch some fish. Are the Bluefish running in your area. In the past I had some good times in NC sportfishing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Are the Bluefish running in your area. In the past I had some good times in NC sportfishing.
The Blues, what are left of them, are still up north. They don't get to the Delmarva until mid-late November. A December into January event in Carolina

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

Interesting population data. Here in Central Florida, the blues typically show up in numbers in about a month - late October to November. They peak in the same time frame, maybe around Christmas/New Years. Our population of blues is smaller fish, though. I'm betting a 10 pound blue is borderline rare in your area, but almost never seen here.

We have (or had) a resident population in the Indian River lagoon. They tended to be small fish, too, smaller than our 10" limit. I'm guessing it's the same population, just moving offshore and into the inlets when they like the water temperature or bait schools.

Bob

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

“Chopper” Bluefish where common in Chesapeake Bay and on the Atlantic beaches back in the 1970’s and 80’s. The rebound of the Striper population in the early 1990’s pushed the bulk of them offshore.

We still get a couple of schools of "Choppers" come down the beach each year but nothing like in the past. If you ant to catch big blues you need to head offshore.

smittyjs

Recruit

stating right up front that I have a very healthy respect (read that as fear) of being out on the ocean, I have some questions for folks with first hand knowledge off shore fishing in small boats .... what is the shortest length that you would feel comfortable taking off shore for fishing ... how far off shore are you be willing to go ... for those whose boat is powered by a single outboard, does having only one motor cause you any concern

Jim
Get yourself a good two way marine radio with weather channel and next get yourself some insurance for towing if you were to break down and a small gps so that if you break down you can give the lat n longutude to Coast Guard or sea tow or and anyone shore side that can send you help if needed, oh also have a compass to observe the heading you had heading out to sea and lost sight of land and landmarks, and you return a 180 degees of heading that you used going out. A good spotlight and flares are great to have also.