Mounting outboard - offset needed from keel/centre line?

CW180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just at the point of my rebuild now where I'm about to hang the engine on the new transom and mark out the mount locations then create the new, correctly done, bolt holes for it.

Someone mentioned to me about not mounting it exactly central to the keel and I remembered that I've heard reference to this in the past and even had to do this when building a petrol powered RC race boat many years ago to counteract torque reaction.

18 foot console boat (like a whaler), and a Honda BF75 outboard. Do I really need to add an offset when mounting it in my scenario, and if so, which side and by how much???

Many thanks

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Mounting outboard - offset needed from keel/centre line?

Guess I have done it wrong for years. I do the middle. I have built a couple of inboards and I moved the rudder a bit to the side so I can get the shaft out.

CW180

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Lyle, I should have been clearer, I forgot to mention that I don't really think I need to attach it anything other than centrally, given the size of the boat and modest power etc but just wanted to check.

From what ive read so far about this, it more of a worry if running loony tunes amount of hp, or where you're likely to have barely any hull at all touching the water when planing, neither of which apply to me I'm sure!

Most people seem to think any teensy about of torque reaction you might notice, if at all, can easily be countered with ballast/kit/passengers etc or even by trim tab/anode if need be.

So I don't think it's really something I should worry about as such, but having spent a very lot of time/effort/money rebuilding this transom, I only want to drill the holes in it once, so I'd rather be certain!

Cheers
Jim

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just hang the motor in the middle of the transom and be done with it. You will still have battery weight to re-arrange if needed.