campers boat came loose , damaged my boat

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
002.jpgwhile anchored overnite another campers boat got loose and drifted into my boat and rubbed against my boat all night and scratched the gelcoat bad.... how should i go about fixing this or should i just leave it, its more or less cosmetic no cracks or missing glass just ulgy...i have posteda pic... any help would be great!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: campers boat came loose , damaged my boat

I moved this to the Restoration section. I assume you just want advice on fixing it as you didn't mention what to do about asking the other boater for help/$ . . .

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Despite the above post, I would have the other boater or his insurance pay to have it professionally repaired.
Maybe that's not what you were asking.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i could not find out who owned the boat or i would have got info from them .. this one will be on me .....

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, it looks like there is some tape at the bottom. That you're going to have to figure out. But the gelcoat actually looks like it will rub out. Do you have any type of rubbing compound? I woudl try that first. Some here will suggest going straight to steel wool or progressively finer wet sand paper. Say start with 400. That will be faster. I always like to see what compound alone will do. I use some stuff I got at a Tropical Fish place for polishing Acrylic Aquariums. It's called Gel Gloss, and it is amazing what that and some elbow grease will take care of.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

looks like a case of dock rash.

if it doesnt buff out, you may have to touch up the gel. I re-did the gel on my SeaRay after it suffered some dock rash. I think it cost me about $50 in supplies (gel, sand paper, buffing compound) and an afternoon worth of sweat.