lower unit oil, 63 evinrude 40 hp

First I need to mention how glad I am to have found this forum. Everything I have learned about my outboard and outboards in general has come from this forum, so thanks.

I changed my lower unit oil yesterday because I have been having trouble getting it to shift into reverse. I noticed the used oil was lighter in color than the new oil. Is that what "milky" oil looks like? I thought "milky" meant that it would have streaks of white in it, but mine was a solid color.

My manual says to use type c oil. Hypiod 90 is the correct replacement for manual shift units right?

When at the marine store I grabbed gaskets labeled OMC. They are black o-rings. When I changed the oil the plugs where seated on white plastic washers not black o-rings. Are the o-rings the correct replacement or do I need to find the white plastic washers?

63 evinrude 40hp, 40353d

Thanks for your help
Pat

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit oil, 63 evinrude 40 hp

Milky = Oil is a sold whitish color, no streaks.

Std Shift = HiVis 80/90w.

Elec Shift = Premium Blend, also know as "Type C".

Lower unit = Drain/Fill screw plugs need special screw plugs (underside cupped) to use/retain O Rings. Drain/Fill screw plugs with flat underside require nylon washers (nothing there to retain O rings).

Re: lower unit oil, 63 evinrude 40 hp

Thanks Joe. Sounds like I'll be rebuilding the lower unit this winter.

Back to the boat store!