28HP Johnson Water Pump - o-ring Question

big_chief

Seaman
I recently replaced the water pump on my 28HP Johnson. I used a kit...

I brought it to a shop to have it pressure tested and it passed fine.

When I did the work, I had (2) o-rings left over and I asked the guy at the shop about them. He said they should go on the top of the housing (down the shaft). There should be a "cone" or "tube" that also goes on the top of the housing, around the shaft that keeps water from going up the shaft.

The problem is... I dont have that "tube" on my motor. Did it ever exist? Or did the last guy lose it?

Do I NEED this tube and o-rings? If so, does anyone have a part number for it?

I'm thinking I do need it, because when I shut the motor off, I get several ounces of "crud" from the weep holes. See the other post I made: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=574045. Is this all related? I'm wondering if the crud is water mixed with other stuff... just weeping out. Would the "tube" stop this?

My last question... Does that tube keep water from coming "IN" the water pump? Or does it keep water from going "OUT" of the water pump.

I attached some pictures of what I "think" the part I need is. Also, the top of my housing and the O-Rings.

Johnson-outboard-parts-2-piece-lower-unit-gearcase-18-25-28-hp.jpgmotor23.JPGmotor24.JPG

Thanks,

AlTn

Commander
Re: 28HP Johnson Water Pump - o-ring Question

that tube may not have come out of the exhaust housing, look up into the housing as sometimes they remain within the housing..I think its purpose is more to keep water from traveling up the driveshaft to the underside of the powerhead.

A couple of decarb procedures may greatly reduce the weep hole seepage....look under the Top Secret Files for the procedure

Re: 28HP Johnson Water Pump - o-ring Question

I am having a problem putting the impeller onto the drive shaft- I can not get the locking tab into to grove in the driveshaft and the impellar positioned- have you any suggestions- thanks, nattyboomboom my evinrude is a 87 25hp