M8B - increment to adjust carb for reluctant cold start

don54321

Recruit
After many years of great 1 pull starting on my 2 stroke M8B (with no service other than water pump), I started getting random stalling issues. Rather than mess around and attempt a rebuild, I bought and installed a new carburetor, leaving factory settings, which fixed the stalling problem. My only complaint is that the engine always started on first pull (more like half pull). Now it is a 3-4 pull when cold start. I have been trying to figure out the formula for starting it easily. Since I only get to the boat once a week, and the problem is only when cold, making teeny tiny adjustments might take months. I have a few clues that if anything, the idle jet would be lean. The fuel bulb is always pumped and primed, and it likes being half choked a little longer than previously necessary.

What is a reasonable FIRST increment to adjust the carb?

If there is another technique rather than guessing, that would be a big help. If buying the manual would give me the answer, I would be willing to do so. My experience with buying manuals is that they seldom have this kind of information.

Many thanks,
Don

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: M8B - increment to adjust carb for reluctant cold start

The carburetor's factory setting is a first setting where the carburetor is then adjusted to the individual engine while it is running. The carburetor is adjusted by ear by someone who knows what to listen for.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: M8B - increment to adjust carb for reluctant cold start

The carburetor's factory setting is a first setting where the carburetor is then adjusted to the individual engine while it is running. The carburetor is adjusted by ear by someone who knows what to listen for.

So true. But... If you seem to be a bit lean, try richening the pilot screw (start with a gross amount such as 1/2 turn) and test the difference. If you go a little too rich, while starting may get shorter/easier, you will use extra fuel, and you will four plugs faster.