checking if water is getting through heads to t-stats

compoundxx75

Cadet
just checked the t-stats and both opened up just above 140 and finished opening about 160. I also put the engine on muffs which I never before had a problem getting water to pump through until now. I would always get a good stream. I have the t-stat covers off and when running there is NO water coming into the area where the t-stats were. I'm not a qualified mech but that to me seems like the water pump is not pumping water to where it belongs. Am I correct on that? And it shouldn't take any time for water to get there since it should be up to there and heating until the t-stats open correct? This is on a 91 evinrude 200hp looper

Re: checking if water is getting through heads to t-stats

How long has it been since the water pump impeller has been replaced?

compoundxx75

Cadet

just replaced by mechanic had it out for first time since getting it back from him and it overheated. Before replacing never had this problem before. Have talked to him and taking back to him tomorrow morning. Just want to be ahead of him so when I show up he cant blow smoke. when it was in he had a NEW mech work on it who is now on vacation. when it was in had all lower unit seals redone and new water pump and impel put in.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

New water pump, thermostat covers off, no water to thermostat area when running.......

That sounds to me like the water tube missed the pump housing water outlet OR caught the edge of the pump housing grommet and folded it over which in effect created a shut off valve. Most likely the grommet thing.

That's a freebie correction problem that falls on the mechanic's shoulders.

compoundxx75

Cadet

New water pump, thermostat covers off, no water to thermostat area when running.......

That sounds to me like the water tube missed the pump housing water outlet OR caught the edge of the pump housing grommet and folded it over which in effect created a shut off valve. Most likely the grommet thing.

That's a freebie correction problem that falls on the mechanic's shoulders.

yeah just wanted to be able to know ahead of time. He already said "no charge fix" thanks for the response.

compoundxx75

Cadet

Ok just to let everyone know had the boat back to the mech. he took the lower unit off again and found that the mech. he had working on it put the wrong water pump housing on the unit and it was not getting the proper flow to it. He fixed it and we went to the river tonight and ran great. His word when done were " glad we could get this straightened out now go catch some fish." Glad to see there is a mechanic that stands by his shops work and if it not right, makes it right.