Mercury won't turn over just beeps once

Stu2012

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I have a 1988 Mercury 70HP 3 Cyl outboard. Engine starts well all the time, until the other day. Ready to pull up anchor but turned the key and nothing. Just the normel high pitched beep when you turn the key. I thought it must have been the battery. Have read many threads on this excellent forum and can say that: I have put in a new battery, tight terminals. Have checked wiring, all looks good. Have checked gear lever, definitely in Neutral. I'm thinking it's the starter motor or the solenoid?? Is it common for these to work fine and then just stop all of a sudden?? I don't have the equipment to check if power is getting through to certain parts. I'm not overly mechanically minded, and was thinking I might just have to bite the bullett and call out the mobile marine mechanic. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury won't turn over just beeps once

I have used a pair of slip joint common pliers to determine the problem on many engines many times. First expect a spark. Second make your connections to the side of the nut, not the threads as you can damage them as a result of the arc....weld deformation. Obviously if you have insulation on the handles pull it off as you need metal to connect to metal. Yeah I know this simplistic, but I don't know you nor your mechanical/electrical background.

Engine in N, cowl off, key doesn't have to be on: Open the pliers and turn them around so that the handles are pointing away from you. Touch one of the large terminals on the starting solenoid, keeping contact pressure on it and swing the other handle over to the other large terminal and push hard.

IF the engine spins, you have either a problem getting voltage from your control box to your solenoid or you have an internal problem with your starting solenoid...switch. If you don't know what that is, look at the large red wire on the starter and follow it back. It mounts to this switch.

If it doesn't spin, your starter could be bad but I would ensure all your large wire connections from your battery, both red and black are clean and bright and tight...and that includes inside where metal touches metal, not the outside...that does nothing for you. Don't forget to include the large black wire from the starter to the engine block.

Also ensure you have a charged battery.

Simple as that.

Mark

Stu2012

Recruit

Mark from Texas, I owe you a HUGE thank you!! I determined that it was the starting solenoid. I picked up a new one, installed it in about 5 min, and bingo! Started first shot!!! A sincere thank you from The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia!! Keep the fluids up, cheers!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mark from Texas, I owe you a HUGE thank you!! I determined that it was the starting solenoid. I picked up a new one, installed it in about 5 min, and bingo! Started first shot!!! A sincere thank you from The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia!! Keep the fluids up, cheers!

Yessssssss!!!!! Being retired and having a small farm, fluid is part of the fun. Grin