Gear Lube - where and what...?

Thales14

Seaman Apprentice
The owners manual and the repair manual and the repair manual are no help to me.
What is the "gear lube" and is it different than the "lower gear lube" and where do you check/add it on a 4.3 2007 model with 190 hp.
It's not the oil (top right of motor), it's not the trim fluid (down at bottom, to the left of the motor itself), it's not the power steering (down low on the front right of the motor).
I believe is the spot/access/cap/reservoir labeled "lube" the is in between the oil and the power steering on the front mid level right side of the motor.
Is that correct?
I have the bottle of "lower gear lube" that the previous owner gave me, and am wanting to confirm that "gear lube" and "lower gear lube" should be the same thing. He did his own service and took maticulous care of the boat as far as I can tell.
I don't find any place on the motor labeled for "lower gear lube".
Any thoughts are appreciated.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Gear Lube - where and what...?

Unfortunately you must have junk for manuals! Go to the "adults only" and "important information" stickys at the top of this forum and look for "mercruiser information", then look for "service manuals". There you will find your OEM manual for your drive and get the info you are looking for. The gear lube goes in your outdrive. The reservoir in your boat supplies that to the outdrive via a tube (in your model outdrive). Got good level? or do you need to add? If you need to add, need to figure out where it is going. Best of luck and HTH!:D

Looks like you need manual 14:

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser14.html#/0

Start on page 1B-9
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser14.html#/20

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Gear lube goes in the lower unit (the outdrive). Check out the Adult section at the top of this forum for the proper outdrive manual.

dollarten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should have a white semi clear plastic reservoir on the right side of the engine as you are looking at it . It also has a sight level to indicate the full mark . Gear oil a smell all its own as you will notice if you put a dab on you finger and smell it . compare that scent to a bottle of gear oil for further conformation

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What outdrive do you have?????
You keep saying lower unit and gear lube. Gear lube is for the sterndrive, the lower unit is part of the sterndrive.
You also need to use the proper gear lube and the proper method for changing the gear lube.

attachment.php

Thales14

Seaman Apprentice

You should have a white semi clear plastic reservoir on the right side of the engine as you are looking at it . It also has a sight level to indicate the full mark . Gear oil a smell all its own as you will notice if you put a dab on you finger and smell it . compare that scent to a bottle of gear oil for further conformation

Great - that helps me. I do see that container as described and exactly where you reference.
The cap also has the label "lube" but I was worried the bottle of lower gear lube that the prior owner gave me and was using was to some other resevior that I couldn't find.
Many thanks.