Just bought new boat w/ 1994 4.3ho cobra... Need Help

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a 17.6 1994 marlin 4.3ho for $1800.00. The boat starts no problem has great compression and seems to be taken care of for the most part.. But the only problem is one of the lifters seems to be tapping so I need a little help on where to buy the parts I need and possible a walk-through on how to... I found a manual for the boat and im wondering if it will work..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599691078/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Few more questions

How much hp should i be getting once the boat is running properly?

What should I replace while I have the engine apart?

Any questions that will help you know more about my boat ill try my best to provide.

Thank you,
Jason

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just bought new boat w/ 1994 4.3ho cobra... Need Help

So I took off the valve cover and lone behold a stud had been sheered off and one of the push rods was sitting sitting under the head all bent out of shape..

Since im in there what should i replace???

The lifters are roller and they seem to be in good shape..

Thank you,
Jason

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where can i find a gasket set for my 4.3ho model number 10235359... From the block casting number it comes up as a vortex... But i cant seem to find a model number on the motor for the actual motor that i can go by and get parts for...

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ordering parts today is it going to work getting car push rods?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I suspect auto push rod will be the same - just verify the length against an old one.

3854299 is the head gasket part number
3853170 is the pushrod part number

shop.evinrude.com and you can look up all of your original part numbers

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

The boat starts no problem has great compression and seems to be taken care of for the most part..
AND was only running on 5 cyls!!

You might want to have a closer look at why you have a sheared (rocker?)stud.

If you have had (salt) water ingestion from possibly a leaking riser gasket, that caused a stuck valve, then you may have FAR greater problems than just a sheared stud/bolt......... I would pull the manifolds and at least look in there for rusty intake/exhaust ports..........AND then separate the manifolds and risers and inspect/replace the gaskets.

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've stripped the motor all the way down to a short block everything seems to be fine the port holes are pretty clean... It seems to be just the stud and the posh rod that failed... I'm replacing all gaskets and push rods.. The guy was running the boat on 5 cylinders 2years

Thank you,
Jason

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i replace all the gaskets should i also put that silicone make a gasket back where it was before?