HID doesn't match title on 85 bayliner i just bought

bsf1976

Cadet
so i just bought an 85 bayliner capri and stupidly didn't look closely enough at the title. first the person i bought it from never retitled in his name and second the last number on the HID is a 5 and on the title it is a 6. yes he gave me the shaft. my bad. its a decent boat and i paid very little for it so if the title becomes a hassle it wont be that big of a deal. I just hope that I can get a title and didn't just waste my time and money. I am not sure what my next move should be though and would appreciate any ideas/feedback any one has for me.
thanx y'all

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: HID doesn't match title on 85 bayliner i just bought

Just do what the jerk did to my sister, title it wrong. He sold it to her as a "1991" and the title said "1991" on it, but I assure you the last two digits of the HIN are "90". State of Ohio never noticed or cared.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: HID doesn't match title on 85 Bayliner i just bought

Just do what the jerk did to my sister, title it wrong. He sold it to her as a "1991" and the title said "1991" on it, but I assure you the last two digits of the HIN are "90". State of Ohio never noticed or cared.

It is a 1991 MODEL manufactured in 1990.
You can already buy 2013 MODEL Year Automobiles! (And Likely Boats!)

OP,
Transfer the Title. No one will actually look at the boat!
After you get a clean title, go back and advise them that you "Just Noticed" the last digit is wrong and would like to get it corrected. See what they say.
The actual HULL Serial Numbers are digits 4 thru 8, the last 4 are the month and year. (Not so important!)

TilliamWe

Banned

It is a 1991 MODEL manufactured in 1990.
You can already buy 2013 MODEL Year Automobiles! (And Likely Boats!)

OP,
Transfer the Title. No one will actually look at the boat!

See, my point is proven, by Willie. People don't understand what the HIN (or VIN) means.

Transfer the title, noone will ever notice.

Agree with the "no-one will notice" the difference in the HIN, but isn't there a more serious problem here? The OP also said the seller didn't retitle the boat in his name, so that is going to have to be corrected before he can get legal title!

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

noone will ever notice is most likely the case, but if you ever sell the boat it could turn into a problem.

TilliamWe

Banned

noone will ever notice is most likely the case, but if you ever sell the boat it could turn into a problem.

HOW? This guy just bought it with a title issue. No problem for the previous two owners, either!

HOW? This guy just bought it with a title issue. No problem for the previous two owners, either!

Maybe the previous owners either didn't care or didn't notice? If the next potential buyer is one who checks these things, it could jeopardize the sale.

m.qualls89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just dont expect your insurance company not to notice this if you get full coverage.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Just dont expect your insurance company not to notice this if you get full coverage.

I have classic boat insurance and classic car insurance and have had insurance agents and appraisers at my house. No one ever looked at the title to compare the serial numbers to verify that they were correct. All have full coverage. Heck, I just changed auto policies as well and the agent came to the house to inspect them and check for damage and snap pics but he never looked at the VINs.

m.qualls89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HID doesn't match title on 85 bayliner i just bought

I have classic boat insurance and classic car insurance and have had insurance agents and appraisers at my house. No one ever looked at the title to compare the serial numbers to verify that they were correct. All have full coverage. Heck, I just changed auto policies as well and the agent came to the house to inspect them and check for damage and snap pics but he never looked at the VINs.
Hmmmm thats odd they have always checked my vins. Guess its just different company policies.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bet they check it before they pay a claim.

UncleWillie

Captain

Let me say it Again!

After you get a clean title, go back and advise them that you "Just Noticed" the last digit is wrong and would like to get it corrected.
See what they say....

The first step is to get a Title in your name.
Once you have a title, Good or Bad, get the corrections made. ;)

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wait a minute.. the HIN is off by one number? Go figure the odds of someone getting a stolen title and a stolen boat that are off by only one number. Heck if your going get a forged title the one thing your going to get right is the HIN thats on the boat. If its altered anywhere that's where it would be. Check the second HIN sticker under and behind the helm. That's where Brunswick usually puts them. If it's different than the one on the stern you have cause for concern.

It's a simple mistake and the seller probably never noticed it. No one else but the OP has either but now that he has, he should get it corrected. It's a simple process. Just explain it like I did. Worse case you get to keep it but can't get a title until a waiting period has passed. Thats just in case it is stolen and turns up reported. You are the honest citizen with a legal bill of sale so they'll go after the seller not you. Don't worry, it won't come up stolen so just enjoy it and don't sweat it.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

1. If you are concerned it is stolen contact the local law enforcement and have then check the HIN to see if it is listed as "stolen."
2. Contact the person you bought it from to see if he or she has a bill of sale from the previous owner.
3. You may have to track down the registered owner..which is not always easy.

That is what I would do to prevent problems down the road.

nlain

Commander

Some body probably just misread the the HIN, it happens all the time. I work in a truck dealer, B for 8, S for 5, 6 for 5, plus others, when I go to check warranty on the VIN it comes up not found, so I send someone right back out to the truck to get the correct VIN. Also in the automotive world when the year model changes the VIN indicates that change, the 10th digit is the year indicator in VIN's, they have been building 2013 model Volvo trucks since the first of the year, Ford just cut off 2012 Superduty orders today, so the rest of the year is 2013. I feel sure that boats are the same way.

oldjeep

Admiral

Maybe the previous owners either didn't care or didn't notice? If the next potential buyer is one who checks these things, it could jeopardize the sale.

Jeopardize the sale of an 85 Bayliner? I like bayliners, but an 85 isn't exactly worth much money - assuming the OP ever resells it, you're talking about a $1000 boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

Oh c'mon guys.

Insurance companies do NOT deny claims for things like this. And besides, you give the insurance company the exact number that is on the boat. When it's damaged or destroyed, they'll pay the claim. It's not like it's a completely different boat.

People really need to stop it with the "insurance companies don't pay claims that they should" business. They pay the claims they owe everyday. It's the claims like the lady who's trailer spring broke due to age and wear and tear that they deny. And that's pretty obvious.

Willie does have the best idea. It's kind of like "asking for forgiveness instead of asking for permission".

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Can you get away with fudging the paperwork? - - Yeah probably - -Then comes the question of where you sit if you have some kind of accident and the question of liability comes up - - - lawayers love this!

Jeopardize the sale of an 85 Bayliner? I like bayliners, but an 85 isn't exactly worth much money - assuming the OP ever resells it, you're talking about a $1000 boat.

I was only answering TilliamWe's question in post #7. For many people $1,000 is a fortune.