Trim electric motor fills up with hydraulic fluid!

225 VMAX...I'm on the second electric motor and now after a few days it has oil in it again. The origanl electric motor shaft seal was fine just as this new one was. Why is the hydraulic pump pushing oil inside it?

Re: Trim electric motor fills up with hydraulic fluid!

Come on...no one is willing to throw an idea my way?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shaft seal leak ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean the shaft seal on the trim motor? If so it looks fine on both trim motors. Either way it's not a seal that will keep under pressure hydraulic fluid out anyway. Its not designed in a way that it can. I'm convinced the hydraulic pump is forcing hydraulic fluid into the trim motor. Why would the hydraulic pump do that?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

possibly a bad seal on the pump letting fluid pressure to where it does not suppose to be. Just a guess

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

try adding a couple of drops of dye to your hydro oil.dye availbe at most auto parts. this why yuo will know for sure if its hydro oil

yelmrap

Cadet

I would check the shaft seal on the pump. It's probably blown/worn. Reasons for shaft seal failures are abnormally high pressure or vacuum at the pumps inlet port. High pressure will be seen if the pump is rotated the wrong direction and high vacuum is usually from a blocked or restricted inlet. Check the inlet strainer. The hydraulic fluid itself maybe dirty causing friction.